Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best way to mount my numbers?

Hi all,
    I am in the process of vetting out a trolling motor solution I built for my Moken14. I have done all the paperwork and got my Yak licensed. They say to put the number/letter combination my bow. Has anyone found a better way to do this than others? I had thought to just stick it to the flat deck in the front but I hate the idea of sticky, yucky numbers up there and they will look bad over time. What have other's done to make this a bit more appetizing?
    People who use the word "literally" wrong literally kill me.

Your paper work shows you where they want then and the type and size of letters. There's no getting around it.
    Mike and son Jeffrey Yellow Hobie Pro Angler
    Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Thanks for the reply...
      I was intending to follow the directions.. but was asking about things like... putting tape down, then letters then more tape.. or putting the letters down then clear tape.. or some other contraption?
      People who use the word "literally" wrong literally kill me.

Comment

Stencils and spray paint are what I used on my wavewalk.

Comment

No matter how you do it on the front of the boat, its going to get beat up. I wiped down the surface with acetone to ensure a good stick. I also used 3" letters, 3 " seems big but oh well at least DNR will have no trouble seeing it.
          Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
          Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

You might want to run a long section of painter's masking tape on the front of the kayak to have a line that will keep your numbers straight. I even lined the numbers up on the kitchen table to see exactly how long the row will be from end to end. And last, these number will stick like car tag stickers. Where ever they hit on the kayak, that's were they stay whether you like it or not. So plan ahead.
            Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Stuck my 3" block letters on the bow just below the gunwale. I prepared the surface by cleaning it with rubbing alcohol first. Then one-by-one, I stuck them on and then rubbed them down to firmly press them to the hull.

Between the heat and scrapes they will come off. Meh.
              Was greeted by DNR at PLO a couple weeks back. Starboard numbers looked good, but the port side looked a little chewed with part of a letter missing. No one said a thing about it. Although one of the guys wanted to know why I registered it. That's when I showed them the hidden motor.

This winter, I'll just replace the bad ones and be good to go for next season.
              2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
              Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Are you allowed to hand-paint the letters?
                Olive Trophy 126 - Moored at Rocky Gorge Scott's Cove

Personal Records at Rocky Gorge
                Largemouth Bass: 21 inches
                Northern Pike: 24 inches
                Crappie: 12 inches
                Channel Catfish: 18 inches

Comment

I don't see why not as long as you comply with the rules for size, style, and placement.

Sent from my PalmPilot
                  2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                  Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Working...
                  X