First timer and Bay Bridge 7/7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First timer and Bay Bridge 7/7

I'll be headed out tomorrow morning to live line the bridge. In case anyone else will be out on a random Tuesday. I think my plan will be heading to SPSP and launching from the boat ramp if it's not crowded. I read here that the beach is a bit of a crawl. Any tips or warnings are appreciated. I think I have a decent general idea on what to do so hopefully I can bring home dinner.

Edit: title should say "first timer AT bay bridge". Failed to proof read before posting from my phone.
    Last edited by jsnyd86; 07-06-2015, 06:28 PM.
    -Jon
    Revo 13

From what I've heard the spot are still hard to come by around the bridge, don't be afraid to try small perch
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Use the boat ramp, much better option than the beach. I've never seen it crowded in the parking lot or at the ramp on a week day.

Originally posted by Shady View Post
      From what I've heard the spot are still hard to come by around the bridge, don't be afraid to try small perch
      Yep, I caught striper using WP as the bait there last year.
      Hobie fleet:
      2017 Quest 13
      2015 Outback
      2014 Outback

Comment

Ok thanks. I would have been throwing them back haha. I'll be using fish bites, but heard worms work better?
        -Jon
        Revo 13

Comment

Nightcrawlers will work too if the spot are in, don't waste your money on real bloodworms
          Ryan
          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

I'm a big fan of the gulp bloodworms (just use little pieces) or the small 2 inch gulp minnows. Croaker, perch and even striper like em'
            John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
            Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
            2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

Nightcrawlers will work too if the spot are in, don't waste your money on real bloodworms
              Next time I bottom fish I'm going this route. A small bag of bloodworm cost $13 at SPSP bait shop!

Comment

Real blood worms out did Fish-Bites 5 to 1 for croaker last month at CHSP. Dao was using bloodworms and I was using FB, right next to each other. I don't doubt night crawlers working, they are probably better than FB too, but I would need to see a side by side trial.
                Hobie fleet:
                2017 Quest 13
                2015 Outback
                2014 Outback

Comment

I've done side by sure with top and bottom rig one hook BW, one hook NC. In some cases NC seemed preferred
                  Ryan
                  Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

I've done side by sure with top and bottom rig one hook BW, one hook NC. In some cases NC seemed preferred
                    Good to know.
                    Hobie fleet:
                    2017 Quest 13
                    2015 Outback
                    2014 Outback

Comment

Wasn't fishing from my kayak so I won't make a separate post but I fished the bridge yesterday (Sunday 7/5) and had lots of luck jigging the pilings. Found most fish in 18-20 feet of water. Lots of smaller fish with keepers mixed in and was lucky enough to end the afternoon with a 33.2015070595181642_3.jpg
                      Last edited by tight lines; 07-08-2015, 12:46 AM.
                      Malibu x-13
                      Andy

Comment

i did the same test and had good results with the night crawler as well. WP loved them. Curious to see if spot will eat them as well. $4 for a dozen sure beats $12.

photo_2015-07-07_06-14-46.jpg

Comment

Got on the water at 6:30 and right away spent way too much time around the rocks leading out of the jetty. I thought I would catch some spot and be on my way, but I had a difficult time just getting to that point. Next time I'll bring another option just to have something else in the water other than fish bites. I even left the gulps at home. Also, I forgot the battery to my FF which shouldn't impact much fishing the structure, but it would have been nice to see everything laid out. I ended the day with a croaker and a toadfish. Packed up around noon.

I figured there would be a learning curve, at least I wasn't completely skunked I guess. I was getting the hang of it towards the end. But by that time the tide was in and current was dead. Nice day though! Thanks for the help everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          -Jon
                          Revo 13

Comment

Working...
                          X