New WS Kayak with pedal power & trolling motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BalmerBrian View Post
    Imho trolling motors runs against the spirit of using a kayak. Human-powered or it's not kayaking.

This discussion kind of reminds me of golfing purists who railed against the motorized golf cart. The fact is that it enabled a lot more people to get out and play, especially seniors. Someone earlier said "to each is own". I agree.

Now, I do drawn a line on those who buzz around on Jet Skis. They're loud and most of their users have no concept of basic consideration for anyone else on the water. They'll run over your lines , take your rod to the bottom, and then blame you for fouling their prop.

Comment

This discussion kind of reminds me of all the people flying in planes who think they are birds.

Comment

I don't know if this is the same kayak but I was at Cabela's today and saw the Old Towne preditor XL (min kota edition). I looked up the price (http://www.cabelas.com/product/Boati..._SEQ_104252580) and I have to say.. that is the best price you can get into a motor kayak for that I have seen. Still no option for pedals that I can see but it is a sweet looking yak.

All the Old Town yaks had a nice flat foot area, lawnchair seat and high-ish sides. All in all it looks like a real nice, stable, dry ride (as dry as a kayak can be that is). The only knock against them that I could see is that they are a bit on the heavy side.
        People who use the word "literally" wrong literally kill me.

Comment

With all due respects to Wilderness as a major kayak manufacturer, the concept of a modular propulsion system with options for pedaling or electric motor is not at all new. A few years ago (before I became a member of their Pro Staff team) Native Watercraft introduced two Multisport models (Ultimate and Mariner) that had an early version of the Propel pedal drive and also included the Volt electric motor. Either unit dropped through an opening in the floor of the kayak and moved the boat along.

http://www.nativewatercraft.com/arti...tegory=fishing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImhWzmP-kY8

I remember seeing them on the internet but never saw one in person. For some reason (I do not know why) the modular technology was not successful at that time. Native discontinued the Volt electric motor module.

Native also discontinued making the Ultimate with a Propel drive. That has changed with the introduction at the ICast show of the new Ultimate FX Propel. I have heard nothing about developing an electric motor module to use with the current lineup of Propel-drive boats.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
          X