crab measuring device

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crab measuring device

Going to try crabbing, so I figured I'd need a measuring device.

I asked my wife to buy me a small plastic cutting board on her way home from work to use. Apparently I didn't convey my plan well enough to her. She said she had an old cutting board for me to use at the house, and hung up. So when she got home, I asked her which one she wanted me to use, and you'll see it below. After I took the jigsaw to the prototype, I showed my wife. To her surprise, I was not using the cutting board for cutting crabs...but cutting the board to use for measuring crabs. Oops, sorry sweetheart...hehe.

This is your everyday plastic kitchen cutting board. I used a tri-square to put down the lines with a permanent marker (Sharpie). With our current blue crab regs, they have to be 5" point to point for the first half of the season; then increases to 5 1/4" mid July.

All cutting was done with a jigsaw, I have a DeWalt DW321K if anyone is curious.

I used a 1/2" drill bit to cut the inside corners of the handle hole.

Then I used the prototype to trace the pattern on what was left of the cutting board.

Rough finish:

I had to check and trim the second and third, because they were not correct initially, since I traced the original and the marker line was still present. Now all three are perfect and hopefully we find some blue crab.

Knowing what I know now, using a 1" hole saw would have made better ends to the handle hole. I also could have gotten 4 measuring devices out of that cutting board with better drafting...or using a paper template instead of going straight to drawing on the cutting board.
    Last edited by Cowpokey; 07-03-2015, 11:43 PM.
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Let me know how your crabbing goes....

Comment

Originally posted by moc View Post
      Let me know how your crabbing goes....
      Will do!
      Hobie fleet:
      2017 Quest 13
      2015 Outback
      2014 Outback

Comment

That's a great idea, plan on doing some crabbing from the yak at the beach July 10-18. Now to find a cutting board.
        Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
        Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Here is one that "Asleep at the reel" made. Also, some traps he made. We usually drop the traps and do some fishing in between checking them.

20150704_132255.jpg
          20150704_132237.jpg
          Last edited by titan; 07-04-2015, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by titan View Post
            Here is one that "Asleep at the reel" made. Also, some traps he made. We usually drop the traps and do some fishing in between checking them.

Can't see the pictures.
            Hobie fleet:
            2017 Quest 13
            2015 Outback
            2014 Outback

Comment

Had quite a few crab on my bait, but they didn't hold on very good. I saw a glimpse of three before they dropped back to the abyss. Had quite a few more that I could feel on the line and they would let go shortly after I started lifting the hand-line. Ended up with a skunk on the crabs, didn't even give it much of a try on the perch.
              Hobie fleet:
              2017 Quest 13
              2015 Outback
              2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Salty Dog View Post
                That's a great idea, plan on doing some crabbing from the yak at the beach July 10-18. Now to find a cutting board.
                If you have an old(er) one laying around the house, this is a good reason to cut it up and replace it with a brand new one. Make sure you clear it with the chef first though...preferably in the primary language of said chef.
                Hobie fleet:
                2017 Quest 13
                2015 Outback
                2014 Outback

Comment

LMAO
                  Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
                  Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

I still have a couple of the old orange crab rulers. But when it comes down to it, I don't like to keep any under 6 inches.
                    Just don't like picking through small crabs.
                    2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                    Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Working...
                    X