Severn Perch Good, Stripers Bad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Severn Perch Good, Stripers Bad

Raptor, J. Rentch and I launched from Jonas between 0700 and 0730 this morning. The tide was high. Our goals were perch and stripers. In roughly 4 hours I believe we caught one small striper between us thanks to Raptor. We trolled the known spots that have brought success to us in the past -- DNR Oyster Bars, Points and Drop Offs in the main river. The stripers remain inexplicably scarce. I trolled 1/2 oz. jigs with a chartreuse 3 inch Fat Sam trailer. No bumps from a fish at all.

Fortunately, the perch in the tributaries (not the river at large) gave us some action and a few pickerels joined the fray.

The perch are not only getting more active, they are getting larger.

I boated 19 and many were like this in size:

A.jpg

I also got two pickerel, one about 12 inches that I did not measure and the other at 22 inches that I did measure. However the large one took the lure deep and I had the fish out of the water a long time removing the hook. I did not want to stress it any more so I put it back without a photo. It was stunned but swam away slowly to fight another day I hope.

I got all my fish today on these three 1/8 oz. spinners:

B.jpg

Color did not seem to matter to the perch. I caught about an equal number on each in 3 different tributaries. But both pickerels hit the middle spinner in the photo. If you look closely you will see it no longer has a hook. The large pickerel bent the spinner arm and the hook. I tried to repair it with pliers. The spinner arm straitened nicely but the hook snapped in two. No more fish for that lure!

Given the overcast skies today, shade was a not required to find perch. I could determine no set pattern for them. Some were tight to cover and others were in open water of 5 to 6 feet in depth. But one place they were not was around the docks and pilings in the Severn. I hit most of the piers on the way back to the launch without a strike.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Good report Mark. I'm glad to hear the perch cooperated.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Nice to have an abundance of perch to save the day!

I wonder if the rockfish prefer saltier water with all this rain we've had and headed to deeper water in the Bay's main stem, or traveled farther south?
      Last edited by Fishinfool; 07-02-2015, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the good report Mark. The fish I found this morning were oriented to current first, structure second. That helped make it easier to find them - and the bigger fish were in the better spots relative to the current.

Comment

Nice report.
          Sounds like you guys had a good day on the water.
          Those darn perch just love spinner jigs!

Comment

A quick follow up to Mark's report-a very pleasant day for early July. The overcast sky and cool temp made for an enjoyable morning. Was using various 1/8 oz spinners today and landed 10-12 plump perch. Mine were not as big as Mark's, but they gave a good tug. Landed one 12" pickerel that landed in the yak, and spit out the hook. Kind of interesting with it lashing out with it mouth at anything near it. Was able to grab it and return to the water. For some reason we had difficulty finding any perch in the river proper. Great day all,around!
            John Rentch
            Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
            Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

John -

I think you are the guys I talked to on my way to the water (I was pushing the camo Moken). I put a hurting on the perch too, but I think you must have grabbed all the big ones! I boated a dozen+ perch in the ~8" range and one 12" pickerel. I'm dying to get some larger perch so I can bring them home for dinner (or any fish that'll make a decent meal for that matter). Next time I think I'll head straight up Weems.
              - Justin
              2017 Native Watercraft Titan 13.5
              2018 Jackson Coosa

Comment

Hi Justin,
                Yes, that was me. Glad you got into some Perch, even though they were not eating size. Haven't seen too many of them yet. Hopefully Weems will heat up with some pan size.
                John Rentch
                Annapolis

Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Glad you guys at least caught fish and where did the stripers go? Last time I went out didn't see any CNR's either.

Comment

Maybe lower salinity has indeed caused both the stripers and the CNRs to vacate. I don't miss the rays, but a few stripers in our familiar haunts would be welcome.
                    Mark
                    Pasadena, MD

Comment

A good thought.
                      John Rentch
                      Annapolis

Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

As a follow-on to the salinity question, it appears from reports on this forum and others that striper catches have been best in deeper Bay waters and on the Eastern Shore.

This article indicates that the Bay's salinity is generally higher in those areas:

http://www.chesapeakebay.net/discove...ystem/physical

Perhaps striper physiology requires more salinity at this time of year and they are seeking waters that provide it.
                        Mark
                        Pasadena, MD

Comment

Working...
                        X