How to calm a bass?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to calm a bass?

Went fishing at black hills lake last night from 2 pm til 9:30pm. (yes I know the park closes at dusk) It was getting dark and was a long way from the ramp. So I decided to troll a rapala rattlin lure and a big 7-8 inch crankbait hoping to catch a pike. Around 9 pm, I got a huge hit thinking I snagged the bottom. Reeled it in and it was a huge largemouth bass. Brought it onto the kayak using my net. The fish was flopping around like mad and I was concerned for my legs. The instant I managed to unhook both treble hooks from the bass and net, the bass did the fastest 180 degree jump into the drink. Stood there in disbelief and knowing without a picture who will believe me. I estimated this to be 3 1/2 to 4 lb bass. Until this, I've yet to catch a bass heavier than 3 lbs.

So my question is: what's the best way to calm the fish and able to snap a photo? Normally in the past, I'm able to lip the fish and unhook a single hook with my fingers or pliers. But with a set of big treble hooks, I like to keep my hands out of the way.
    Donnie

2012 Malibu Steath 14
    2013 Cuda 12

tire it out.. or leave in water in the net. once out of the water cover its eyes completely
    Zach Moore
    Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
    Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
    Bait Towel Pro Staff
    2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
    YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

bat1.jpg

Sorry I couldn't resist.....
      - Justin
      2017 Native Watercraft Titan 13.5
      2018 Jackson Coosa

Comment

Originally posted by jmt1980 View Post
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]16232[/ATTACH]

sorry i couldn't resist.....

lol
        Donnie

2012 Malibu Steath 14
        2013 Cuda 12

Comment

For bigger fish I want to take a nice photo of. I have a fish grip tied to the kayak so I can grip the fish in the mouth put it in the water (let it calm down) while I get my camera ready. Then pull the fish back up for the photo op. Usually in that time it will be warn out. If not then you have to bring out the bat hahaha.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
          Tan-Tarpon 140
          Lime-Pelican Matrix
          Yellow-Scrambler XT

Comment

Or the Hawaiian kill spear>
            Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
            Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Originally posted by lovett88 View Post
              For bigger fish I want to take a nice photo of. I have a fish grip tied to the kayak so I can grip the fish in the mouth put it in the water (let it calm down) while I get my camera ready. Then pull the fish back up for the photo op. Usually in that time it will be warn out. If not then you have to bring out the bat hahaha.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
              Kicking myself for not even using the fish grip which I had with me tucked away. In the past, I never had to use it. From now on, it will be out within reach!
              Donnie

2012 Malibu Steath 14
              2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Working...
              X