St Inigoes Croaker 6/26

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St Inigoes Croaker 6/26

Went out to the point on the Potomac from the St Inigoes launch this morning and absolutely killed croaker trolling a 1/8th ounce jig head with a pink Gulp swimming mullet. I stopped counting after 20 and think I ended up somewhere in the 25 to 30 range in about 2 and 1/2 hours of fishing. Because of the way croaker bite a moving bait it was key to have rod in hand to set the hook for most of them. They ranged in size from 8 to 12" today. Also picked up 2 random stripers that weren't in a school that I could detect. All of these fish came from 4 to 5 feet of water and within 50 feet of the rip rap (and really in just a 100 yard stretch of the rip rap wall).

The water was stained a little bit more than it was on Monday but there was still about 2 feet of visibility, which given the heavy storms we've had kind of surprised me. Weekend looks like more rain and lots of wind so it will be interesting to see how it holds up.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

I got my big trout last year right about where you were fishing Mike
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I can definitely see trout and drum hanging out there even though I haven't seen them yet this year, but it doesn't sound like many are around.
      Mike

Comment

Mike how did you rig the gulp and Jig head? If this weather cooperates I may try and get down there Monday.

Yak67
        Pro Angler 14

Comment

Gary, if you look at the post on circle hook jigs you will see a regular jig rigged with a soft plastic. I like a 2/0 hook or bigger, but for the croaker a 1/0 is easier for them to get in their mouth (and you may find more 1/0 size jigs in the places like Dick's). I will be out there on Monday, wind direction and speed looks favorable for this spot.
          Mike

Comment

Great! Thanks for the feedback, and I will see you out there Monday. PM me with a time of departure. Thanks

Comment

Mike, Thanks for the report.
              Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
              Cobra Explorer

Comment

Working...
              X