Weems washout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weems washout

As well as I did last week at Weems Creek, this week was a bit of a bust.
    The difference?
    We had 4" of rain in the area last night with a high pressure system moving in today.
    Result, the visibility depth of the water, which was nearly two feet last week, was about 6-8" today.
    Can anybody say:"Chocolate soup?"
    I found a few perch in the shadow of a bridge ( not bride! gotta love auto spell), but they were all about 6".
    One big swirl from a pickerel as I lifted the lure off of the water, but after an hour and half, I figured that "the juice wasn't worth the squeezing."
    It will be a couple of days until the water clears up a little.

I ended up trying one of my spinner jigs with a larger solid Yellow Chartreuse blade, figuring that it was slightly more visible than one with a gold or green blade, but it just wasn't happening for me today.
    Last edited by bignose; 06-24-2015, 03:33 PM.

Stu -

The first time I tried one of your new lures with the green and chartreuse blade, the water quality was much like you described. I had low expectations when heading to upper Weems. But to my surprise, the perch were drawn to the heavier thumping blade, and I had my best perch catching day of the season so far. I'm sorry you did not have much success today.

Yesterday I fished 4 Severn tributaries with considerably clearer water than you had today. The bite was slow then too. In nearly 5 hours of fishing, I found 13 perch and 3 pickerel.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Stu,

If she was a large bride she may have cast enough of a shadow to attract the perch!

That was your problem -- a skinny bride.

The perch remain quite fickle. Here one day, gone the next.

Better luck next outing.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Some days you eat the bear,
        Some days the bear eats you.

Some days you both go hungry!

Hell, we have days like this on the charter boat, you can do everything right and the critters just won't hit!

Comment

Working...
        X