Tilghman Island/Black Walnut Creek launch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tilghman Island/Black Walnut Creek launch

Anyone ever launched at Black Walnut Creek, the southernmost launch on Tilghman Island? I see from the NOAA Navigation charts that there's an oyster sanctuary nearby, which is a reliable fish attractor.

I may be able to fish it within a couple days.

I was just looking at the same area to try this weekend, but unfortunately for you that doesn't help. It has all the signs of being decent though, post a report if you go.
    2015 Hobie Outback
    2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

I wouldn't call it a launch.. From what I understand that's private. Just keep your eyes on the winds Get rather choppy on that point.
      2012 hobie outback
      2016 feelfree lure 11.5

Comment

Originally posted by coop1486 View Post
        I wouldn't call it a launch.. From what I understand that's private. Just keep your eyes on the winds Get rather choppy on that point.
        Black Walnut Creek is listed as a Talbot County launch site. I've launched out of Dogwood Harbor a couple miles north, but not Black Walnut.

It's always windy past the point as I've driven down there a couple of times. I think the launch site is more inside the creek from what I can see on GPS.
        Last edited by Fishinfool; 06-24-2015, 08:04 AM.

Comment

"MD Route 50/301. Slight right to MD Route 50 east. Right to MD Route 322 (Easton Parkway) south, continue on MD Route 322. Right at MD Route 33 (St. Michaels Road) west. Continue onto Black Walnut Point Road. Left at Fairbanks Road, follow it to the end."

"At all landings in Talbot County, a current permit must be displayed by every vehicle with a trailer. Launching at landings without a ramp permit is limited to canoes, kayaks, and car-top boats without trailers. Landings and Amenities: http://www.talbotcountymd.gov/index....and_Admenities. Please note the turn around area is suitable for cars onlyand the parking area is very small. This site is closed from 11 pm to 4 am. Please note this site is trash-free (carry in/carry out). Canoes and kayaks can be launched off the wharf."

http://webapps02.dnr.state.md.us/MDP...PKintKeyID=292
          sigpic

Comment

LI arrived at Black Walnut Point yesterday @ 5:00 pm and hunted around for the launch which is actually at the end of Fairbanks Rd off of Black Walnut Rd. The launch is not ideal; there's a small semi-soft launch area of oysters shells, logs and rocks after you thread the kayak thru a fence and over some reedy marsh grass.

It's about a mile paddle out past all the grass towards the point and jettys to troll. Last evening was my first experience with cow nose rays. They took two of my best lures (an X-rap and an oversized rattletrap @$15 worth) plus they broke a nice graphite rod. No fair! The point was lousy with them, not much fun.

I did manage two smaller rock in the 12-14 inch range. I knew there were other fish to be had there, but too difficult with so many rays around.

This morning I tried near the headwaters of Harris Creek at the Witmann Launch. Interesting and calm, but just perch to be had under piers.

Here's pic of Dogwood Harbor; home of the last fleet of working skipjacks in N America:

image.jpg
            Last edited by Fishinfool; 06-29-2015, 09:58 AM.

Comment

I have heard that you can also launch at Phillips Wharf Environmental Center first left of the drawbridge. It is now part of the Chesapeake Bay Waterway Trails.

Comment

Originally posted by MDsteve View Post
                I have heard that you can also launch at Phillips Wharf Environmental Center first left of the drawbridge. It is now part of the Chesapeake Bay Waterway Trails.
                There's a good launch at Dogwood Harbor a stone's throw past the Knapps Narrows Bridge on the left. It doesn't get you all the way to Black Walnut Pt at the southern tip of Tilghman Island. Local intel says that is a prime spot, and it is without the cow nose rays.

Comment

Working...
                X