Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rod holder question/problems

Hi Folks,

I want to put rod holders on my boat. I only found two types at Bass Pro Shops, an Attwood and a Scottie. Neither worked for me. The Attwood required a longer butt section of the handle than I have on my rods, so it wouldn't even hold my rods; the Scottie held my rods fine, but there is nothing holding the rod in the rod holder (except for friction created when trolling). If I was anchored and bottom fishing, a hit pulling straight out would pull the rod out, overboard, and gone. Can anyone suggest a better rod holder and where to get it?

thanks

Severn Gary

Perhaps just use a rod leash?

Comment

take a look at scotty's website, there are many different designs. all Ram has some stuff too.

not sure which ones you were looking at, but I use ram tubes often and haven't had any problems bottom fishing. Used to use scotty power lock rod holders with no problem either.

Comment

Scotty has a "Power lock" version http://www.scotty.com/fishing-gear-e.../powerlock.htm that has a rotating ring to hold the rod in place as oppsoed to the rubber band that goes across their standard holder. http://www.scotty.com/fishing-gear-e...rod-holder.htm Railblaza also makes a nice holder. http://www.railblaza.com/products/rod-holder-ll-2/

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

I have had great luck with the YakAttack Zooka Tube. Get one form ACK with the extension arm. They come with various mount options. Be sure to get the one that is right for your mounting options.

Good Luck!

http://www.austinkayak.com/products/...nt-ZT-001.html
          Bruce

Hobie PA 14
          Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

West Marine stocks Railblaza, not cheap, but you could look at one and see if it will do the job and then buy it online.
            Pelican Strike 100X

Comment

Thanks for the great info! I guess I've got some homework to do!

Comment

Originally posted by Severn Gary View Post
                Thanks for the great info! I guess I've got some homework to do!

Dude..rod holder are the only thing I haven't pulled the trigger on for the new yak..I have a plethora of parts and accessories and I STILL can't decide on what I want...It'll have to wait till my return across the pond anyway so I still have time. Post up what ya chose and how ya mounted it!
                Christopher

2016 PA 14' Olvie Drab, Torqueedo Ultralight 403, Mad Frog Gear Boards, Elite-5 ti, Berley Pro Visor and Transducer mount and some other goodies...
                2016 PA 12' Olvie Drab, Elite-5 ti, BerleyPro Visor and Transducer mount
                2013 PA 14' Olvie Drab, Elite-4x Chirp
                2013 PA 12' Olvie Drab, Elite-4 HDI

Comment

I switched over to all scotty. On the tube rod holders, I used thin bungee cord to hold the rods in the holder. Tie bungee in a loop and attach to base of rod hold.
                  Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
                  Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Just curious...

I have rod tubes, Hobie and Scotty. I've used them only for holding rods. I do not troll with them. Will a 20 to 24 inch striper pull the rod completely out of a tube?

I use Scotty holders with rubber straps that secure the rod when trolling. Sometimes the fish pull so hard it's difficult to get the rod from the holder even after I release the strap. I've wondered if fish will exert the same leverage on a rod tube type of holder keeping the rod in place.
                    Mark
                    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

The Zooka Tubes have slots to easily secure both spin and bait casting rigs without any moving parts. Just rotate the rod and remove. images.jpg
                      Bruce

Hobie PA 14
                      Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

I use my tubes for holding rods as well, and I put the bungee over the handle of the rod to prevent loss if I turtle. I don't think a 24 inch bass is going to pull it out of the tube if your drag is set right.
                        Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
                        Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Freddie T,

Thank you.
                          Mark
                          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment