Skunked twice this past week. Upper potomac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skunked twice this past week. Upper potomac

Title says it all. I have never been skunked on the UP. Hit Seneca Breaks last thursday and got nothing. Water was a little high and fast so I chalked it up to that. Then on Saturday evening I hit edwards ferry. All my usual spots were pointless. Not even a bite. Not sure what's going on there, but I did notice it smelled a bit like sewage. Saw some fish breaking surface during a hatch but couldnt get anything going..

We fished the Meet and Greet on Saturday (Brunswick to Point of Rocks). We got numbers using ned rigs and weightless flukes but a high percentage of the smallmouth were in that 9" to 11" size range. Big bass for the M&G was a 15.50" smallie. With a lot of small fish about smaller presentations seemed to help in getting bit.
    Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Did you check your hatches for bananas?....

hope ya kick the skunk soon and get tight lines!
      Christopher

2016 PA 14' Olvie Drab, Torqueedo Ultralight 403, Mad Frog Gear Boards, Elite-5 ti, Berley Pro Visor and Transducer mount and some other goodies...
      2016 PA 12' Olvie Drab, Elite-5 ti, BerleyPro Visor and Transducer mount
      2013 PA 14' Olvie Drab, Elite-4x Chirp
      2013 PA 12' Olvie Drab, Elite-4 HDI

Comment

Originally posted by therevolution View Post
        Title says it all. I have never been skunked on the UP. Hit Seneca Breaks last thursday and got nothing. Water was a little high and fast so I chalked it up to that. Then on Saturday evening I hit edwards ferry. All my usual spots were pointless. Not even a bite. Not sure what's going on there, but I did notice it smelled a bit like sewage. Saw some fish breaking surface during a hatch but couldnt get anything going..
        Did you notice an algae bloom problem at Edwards or the Breaks? We saw something like that up at Brunswick which they are reporting can hurt the bite when the algae is blooming. Green slime clinging to rocks and clumps breaking off and floating (would account for the smell).
        Dave

Comment

Aww this isn't a post i want to see. Tomorrow (6/18/15) my son and I will do a float trip from Cumberland, MD all the way to Swains Lock taking 12 days. We have all the "proper" baits, lures, etc for smallmouths so they better be biting!!! If you see us in a light gray stealth 14 and red/black Cuda 12, feel free to stop by and say hello. I'm deaf but my son is hearing. So don't get your feelings hurt if I didn't respond to your greetings since I can't hear too well.

WISH ME GOOOOOOD LUCK!!!!
          Donnie

2012 Malibu Steath 14
          2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Originally posted by Donsail68 View Post
            WISH ME GOOOOOOD LUCK!!!!
            Good luck! I'm sure you will find a whole bunch of willing smallmouth in your float.
            Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Turtle135 View Post
              Did you notice an algae bloom problem at Edwards or the Breaks? We saw something like that up at Brunswick which they are reporting can hurt the bite when the algae is blooming. Green slime clinging to rocks and clumps breaking off and floating (would account for the smell).
              Nothing that caught my eye. There was some stuff floating, but I didn't even really pay any attention to what it was. I figured it was just stuff getting washed down from all the rain. Didn't notice algae on the rocks, but the water was high and some of those rock piles below the canal opening were mostly underwater. The mid river grass slightly upriver looked really good and really fishable. Not all the way to the surface and matting up yet. I usually can pull at least a few from there.

Oh well, I'll give it a go again some time soon, and hopefully get some pullage.

Comment

If you see fish breaking get those pop-rs out. Landed a nice 17"er yesterday, and lost a really nice one as well. Throw it right on top of where they're breaking they'll hit it.
                Zack
                Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
                Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
                "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

Comment

Working...
                X