X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sweet pics and thanks for the report, awesome job
    sigpic

Comment

That's totally AWESOME bro! I bet you were smiling ear to ear when those Cobia backflips were happening!!

I do have to say I am impressed that you managed to fix your rod tip and stitch your chum bag and land 4 Cobia all on the same kayak! LOL I have to learn to be that prepared

What Shimano rod were you using?
      -Mustafa
      ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
      2016 Hobie Outback
      2012 Hobie Revolution 13
      "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Originally posted by Slobber Bob View Post
        Joe,

I was just fishing bottom using cut bunker on fish-finder rigs with egg sinkers. I started out with 10/0 circles on both rods but had to change the rod I was fishing chunks with to 6/0 because I was running out of 10/0 hooks thanks to the rays and I wanted to make sure I saved enough 10/0 to always have on the rod soaking the head piece. 6/0 wasn't ideal but it worked out that day. Next time I'm going to make sure I remember to buy more 10/0 hooks so I have plenty with me.

I prefer to use Owner SSW Circles but also use Mustad Ultrapoint Demon Circle when I can't find the Owner's in the size I want. The Mustads work fine but they don't hold a point real well and often need to be touched up - especially if your hooking hard baits like crabs and fleas a lot.
        Some anglers mentioned that cut Bunker on the bottom is the best bait for cobia. Was your bunker fresh or frozen? I will buy some 10/0 circle hooks on the way home. And next time, I won't buy eels. I will get bunkers.

How did you set the drag?
        If you had a spinning reel, did you set the initial drag lightly at around 1-2 LB and tighten up ?
        If you had a conventional reel, how did you set the drag?

Thank you
        Joe
        Fish like there's no tomorrow.
        Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

It was a Trevala jigging rod. 6'6" MH.

Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
          ........... You had better luck than I had fishing from a boat ..........
          Well yeah... everybody know kayakers catch more than boaters do! Just ask anybody on here
          Brian

Comment

Joe,

The bunker was "fresh" but a few days old. I kept them in a soft sided cooler with ice while out there but they were deteriorating fast because it was so sunny and hot out there. I think any cut fish will work - bunker, spot, mullet, bluefish, even kingfish or croaker. Bunker is just the easiest to get. If you use heads, barely hook it through the bottom lip and out the tip of the nose - 95% of the hook will be exposed - it'll give you the least chance of missing a hookup. Especially if you use big bunker or bluefish heads.

I kept my conventional setup at fish fighting drag tension and just set the clicker with it disengaged. The other was a spinning outfit and I loosened the drag just enough for it to easily take line but still keep tension on the spool, then just tightened up by feel when I picked it up.
            Brian

Comment

It was a Trevala jigging rod. 6'6" MH.
              Yikes...I have a Trevala S MH and would be heartbroken! Curious, when you called in for the warranty, what did you have to produce to Shimano? Don't mean to hijack the thread LOL, you can PM the answer if you want
              -Mustafa
              2016 Hobie Outback
              2012 Hobie Revolution 13
              "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Joe,

The bunker was "fresh" but a few days old. I kept them in a soft sided cooler with ice while out there but they were deteriorating fast because it was so sunny and hot out there. I think any cut fish will work - bunker, spot, mullet, bluefish, even kingfish or croaker. Bunker is just the easiest to get. If you use heads, barely hook it through the bottom lip and out the tip of the nose - 95% of the hook will be exposed - it'll give you the least chance of missing a hookup. Especially if you use big bunker or bluefish heads.

I kept my conventional setup at fish fighting drag tension and just set the clicker with it disengaged. The other was a spinning outfit and I loosened the drag just enough for it to easily take line but still keep tension on the spool, then just tightened up by feel when I picked it up.
                Would bridling the cut bait on the circle hook increase the hookups?
                -Mustafa
                2016 Hobie Outback
                2012 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

No need to bridle the bait if you hook the bait properly; it'll hook up fine every time. Just sometimes I see people that aren't used to soaking heads that hook it through the eyes, or the top of the head, or even the lips, but they jam most of the hook into the bait and leave very little of the hook gap and point exposed. There's no room for the circle to turn and grab when the gap is filled up with bait already and you'll end up dropping the fish. You can get away with that sometimes though when using chunks because they're softer baits than a head. Even then i still leave most of the hook exposed.

Cobb mullet head on a 10/0 circle:
                  P1000620.jpg

For your rod fix question...

I just called them and said I needed a replacement under their "Shimano Express Service". You tell them the rod, they mail you a new one 50% off, you use the rod tube the new one came in to send the broken one back. If you don't send it back within 30 days, or send a different rod than you called them about, they'll charge your card for the full price of the rod. Hope you never find out!
                  Brian

Comment

Thanks bro! Yes I hope so too!
                    -Mustafa
                    2016 Hobie Outback
                    2012 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

I went solo today (thanks Doug for giving me the push I needed). It is a little unnerving to be 5 miles out with no one else anywhere. Big fish and big water what better way for an old man to spend the day lol. I did manage a personal first cobia from the kayak, but it was 36.5" , so I released it to grow that extra half inch by Friday haha

Comment

Nice going, Gary! Glad to be of some help for once. Lol

Hobie Fishing Team Member
                        Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                        2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Again, awesome you got one! I kept wondering all day what you were into as I sat at work.... chomping at the bit over here to get back out!
                          Brian

Comment

Joe,

Thank you.
                            I will do what you did. I got confused because I read too much.
                            I will make it simple.

I had 18-20 hours working days. I haven't had time for the internet. Sorry for the late reply.

Thank you again
                            Joe
                            Fish like there's no tomorrow.
                            Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
                            https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Working...
                            X