Eastern Shore Cobia. 6/13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eastern Shore Cobia. 6/13

On Saturday Doug (ravendefense), Eric (somedevil), Joe (kayakjoe), and myself took a short trip down to the Eastern Shore of VA to get in on a good cobia bite that had been going on for the last week or so. I’ve never caught a cobia before so the reports of good fish up to 60lbs in the area we planned to fish had me excited. Eric and I got to the launch around 5:30 and set off on the 3 – 4 mile paddle out to the fishing grounds. Doug and Joe were running a little behind and got out a half hour later. Once we finally got to where we wanted to fish, Eric and I anchored up together while Doug and Joe setup maybe a half mile or so south of us. With bait cut, chum deployed, and a squirt of fish oil every now and then, there was nothing left to do but hope some cobia found our slick.

It didn’t take long for stuff to find me and I was instantly into rays and sharks. Sandbar sharks up to 30” and 3 different species of rays - cownose, southern, and butterfly throughout the day. I’ve hooked some big butterfly rays before surf fishing that I had trouble turning, but hooking a big one on a kayak is ridiculous. Easily the most powerful thing I’ve hooked to date – like snagging a submarine! It towed me on anchor a little before thankfully breaking off. I probably caught a dozen or more rays total and just as many sharks.

Fortunately, it wasn’t all sharks and rays this day… I ended up getting 4 cobia between 34” – 36”. Not huge by cobia standards, but for my first time trying for them, I’ll take it! And four of them? I was ecstatic! All of them came on the chunk bait, only rays took the head pieces. Landing them was the hardest part because I knew they were border line keepers so I didn’t want to gaff/club them and find out they were under sized. I ended up fighting them next to the kayak for a while to try and tire them out a bit before I pulled them in and threw my legs over them to keep them from going wild. It worked out better than I thought. I kept reading how crazy they can go in the boat but they really weren’t that bad. One of them, as soon as I hooked it shot out of the water like a sea rocket three or four times, twice coming out of the water completely and doing a back flip! I’ve never caught anything like it before! It was amazing fishing and I can’t wait for the chance to hopefully get out again shortly. It’s going to be hard for anything else I may catch this summer to compare to the experience of those cobia. If you get the chance to try for them - do it!

My only regret is I wish I had better pictures

And of course it all didn’t go as planned and I had to pay a little back to the cobia gods. While trying to cut the hook leader on a ray, it made a quick maneuver and shot under my kayak catching me off guard and putting me in a bad spot. My rod tip ended up getting caught against my kayak before I could react and off snapped the top 5" of it . Fortunately I had a spare tip and was able to rod an emergency repair so I could keep using it. Shimano replacement for 50% MSRP shipped today.

Eric and Joe also got into cobia, but I can let them share if they choose.
    Brian

Very nice! You fished hanging on anchor? How deep was the water where you caught them?
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

Oh man, great job! You got me all pumped and wanting to go and try to catch some now. How did you land it, pulled them in by the tail or gill or the leader?

Outback 2015
      Maui

Comment

Sorry I had to pass ongoing out with you guys, but a rare trip to fish with my brother and nephew was must do family time. I did manage to get 3 keeper flatties, but the report of you guys hitting Mr. Brown Clown hard really made the day extra special! We have a hardcore group of yak fishermen over here on the ES, and I could not be happier for all of you. I will be in on the hunt soon

Comment

Good going man! It was that darn menhaden milk making a slick all the way to the CBBT. What an awesome trip that was. Cobia tacos for dinner tonight. I'll be back there soon for sure (considering I was the only one who was cobialess)!

Hobie Fishing Team Member
          Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
          2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Nice guys.
            Hobie Revolution 13
            Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Awesome! Very jealous
              Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Great job! Them cobia are a good time.

Comment

Gary, I think I passed you on the way home. Right around the sharp bend on 13 near Kegotank Elementary. I'm ready to get out again as soon as I can find the time. This weekend is no good - might have to take a day off during the week.

Pokey, yes I fought them on anchor. Had I got a larger one I would of come off anchor but there wasn't much need for these ones. I just cleared my other line and pulled in my chum bag whenever I hooked up just to avoid tangles.

Goody, I just grabbed the leader and kicked them into the leg well a' la kevin style.

I forgot I also had my chum bag attacked by a shark while I was fighting a ray. I was hooked up and the ray was off my back left side but something was splashing on the surface by my bow. Then it occurred to me that my chum bag was up there. It had a few rips in it I had to stitch up real quick. It was a good reminder to not dangle my legs in the water while chumming like I had been
                  Brian

Comment

Yikes never gave much thought to a shark mistaking my leg for a chum bag
                    Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Even though they're shorts, nice work! You guys and Joe are getting me psyched.
                      2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                      2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                      2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

WTG! Looks like a great day on the water!!

Comment

Slobber Bob,
                          Thanks for the report.
                          Hopefully One day we find a good spot in the western shore.

May I have more info on Baits, hooks, and rigs?

Joe
                          Fish like there's no tomorrow.
                          Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
                          https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Joe,

I was just fishing bottom using cut bunker on fish-finder rigs with egg sinkers. I started out with 10/0 circles on both rods but had to change the rod I was fishing chunks with to 6/0 because I was running out of 10/0 hooks thanks to the rays and I wanted to make sure I saved enough 10/0 to always have on the rod soaking the head piece. 6/0 wasn't ideal but it worked out that day. Next time I'm going to make sure I remember to buy more 10/0 hooks so I have plenty with me.

I prefer to use Owner SSW Circles but also use Mustad Ultrapoint Demon Circle when I can't find the Owner's in the size I want. The Mustads work fine but they don't hold a point real well and often need to be touched up - especially if your hooking hard baits like crabs and fleas a lot.
                            Brian

Comment

Great job guys ........... You had better luck than I had fishing from a boat .......... Looks like you had them dialed in

Comment

Working...
                              X