Trolling for croaker 6/14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trolling for croaker 6/14

Got a cabin at PLO for the weekend. Spent Saturday morning trolling soft and hard baits occasionally stopping to jig around some structure. Nothing. Not wanting to smell like skunk I hit the oyster bed and bottom fished. After throwing back my 2nd 10" croaker, I called it a day and returned to camp for some beer.

Sunday I decided I'd skip the trolling and head straight out for some bottom fishing. The croaker were biting, but again they were barely legal. At one point I was drifting into a mess of crab pots so I needed to readjust. Too lazy to pull in my lines I turned the motor up just enough to keep them from snagging the bottom as I moved the yak back into position.

And that's when she hit. A nice 13" croaker on a single hook with a slip sinker. A first for me. I've always caught croaker bottom fishing, never trolling. But if that's what works....
    Threw it back out and soon I had another.... and another... all between 11-15". Landed an even dozen (it would have been thirteen but one jumped out of my hands). Great day. Had to stop fishing so I would have enough time to clean them before dinner.

Drifted in about 15 feet of water with FishBites Bloodworm, Shrimp, & Crab. The crab flavor produced the most hits.
    2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
    Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Those are the biggest croaker that I've heard of being caught down here. In the Potomac I've been catching them while trolling for rocks and they have been almost as annoying as blues. It's not just gulp they are hitting.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Working...
    X