Lightweight 12 volt battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lightweight 12 volt battery

I bought a 12 volt 12 ahr AGM battery to power my Lowrance Elite5 DSI combo a couple of years ago...battery is a hoss- last several trips but is overkill and heavy...decided to go with less weight and near equal power with a lithium Iron Phosphate 12 volt 9ahr battery that weighs 1.2 pounds...supposed to last 5X longer than a lead acid battery - we shall see- I'll review this after a few trips...little bitty thing- About 6 inches long, 2 inches deep and four inches wide-
    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 06-16-2015, 08:29 PM.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Which battery specifically did you go with? I've been looking for a small, lighter solution myself.

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

I bought the Battery Tender BTL09A 120C Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery from Amazon.com $66.46 with free shipping
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Thanks. Interested to hear your experiences with it.

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

I will be interested in seeing your results also, I currently use a 5AH battery which has served me well and lasts all day so far, but instead of replacing with the same thing perhaps a little weight reduction would be good. I already know if I skipped a few lunches I would have the same result, but that is no fun!.....jack
          Last edited by Bulldog; 06-15-2015, 04:45 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Gunna grab some popcorn and wait this one out...I havent yet purchased my first one but if I can start out with lithium, ya damn sure bet i'm gunna start light weight!
            Christopher

2016 PA 14' Olvie Drab, Torqueedo Ultralight 403, Mad Frog Gear Boards, Elite-5 ti, Berley Pro Visor and Transducer mount and some other goodies...
            2016 PA 12' Olvie Drab, Elite-5 ti, BerleyPro Visor and Transducer mount
            2013 PA 14' Olvie Drab, Elite-4x Chirp
            2013 PA 12' Olvie Drab, Elite-4 HDI

Comment

I recently purchased a StarkPower 20Ah battery and it's awesome. I fish at night often and those little light poles just don't cut it for me safety wise, plus it's one more thing in the way. The LED system I have now can been seen miles away, however it consumes about 2-3Ah. That being said the 9Ah gel battery I had would only run about 3 hours with the fish finder on, so I knew I wanted to upgrade. I looked at the battery tenders since they appear to be a great value, however the posted capacity has been proven inaccurate. For a true 15-20Ah battery it's going to cost you at least $200. For a test I fully charged my battery and left the fish finder, nav lights, and work lights on all night (9 hours) and it was still working. Hooked it up to the charger and still had 35%. I could probably fish 2 nights in a row without a recharge and still have power left over.
              2015 Hobie Outback
              2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Originally posted by silasvirus82 View Post
                I recently purchased a StarkPower 20Ah battery and it's awesome. I fish at night often and those little light poles just don't cut it for me safety wise, plus it's one more thing in the way. The LED system I have now can been seen miles away, however it consumes about 2-3Ah. That being said the 9Ah gel battery I had would only run about 3 hours with the fish finder on, so I knew I wanted to upgrade. I looked at the battery tenders since they appear to be a great value, however the posted capacity has been proven inaccurate. For a true 15-20Ah battery it's going to cost you at least $200. For a test I fully charged my battery and left the fish finder, nav lights, and work lights on all night (9 hours) and it was still working. Hooked it up to the charger and still had 35%. I could probably fish 2 nights in a row without a recharge and still have power left over.
                I was looking on Stark Powers site and saw the battery you bought...which charger do you charge with? I'm no guru on amps and watts and all that jazz. There were several amp size chargers to choose from. I'm guessing thats just the speed it charges?
                Christopher

2016 PA 14' Olvie Drab, Torqueedo Ultralight 403, Mad Frog Gear Boards, Elite-5 ti, Berley Pro Visor and Transducer mount and some other goodies...

Comment

yes, the lower amp chargers will work just fine, just takes longer to charge. the 4 amp charger should charge a 20Ah battery in 5 hours, that's the one I'd go with if you need one.
                  2015 Hobie Outback
                  2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Originally posted by silasvirus82 View Post
                    yes, the lower amp chargers will work just fine, just takes longer to charge. the 4 amp charger should charge a 20Ah battery in 5 hours, that's the one I'd go with if you need one.
                    Thanks for the intel. Where by chance did you find your battery? I noticed amazon didn't recognize the brand
                    Christopher

Comment

Originally posted by RustedAngler View Post
                      Thanks for the intel. Where by chance did you find your battery? I noticed amazon didn't recognize the brand
                      I bought directly from Stark Power, he delivered in about 3 days from the time I placed the order. If you call the (704) on the website it is the owners cell phone, he can tell you if they have the one you want in stock.
                      2015 Hobie Outback
                      2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

I have some old 12v Dewalt cordless drill batteries. Wanted to rig up a system for my fish finder and maybe accessory outlet. Would be nice to have a mount where the batteries can easily be switched out.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyrone Shoes View Post
                          I have some old 12v Dewalt cordless drill batteries. Wanted to rig up a system for my fish finder and maybe accessory outlet. Would be nice to have a mount where the batteries can easily be switched out.
                          Thats a pretty unique idea! You should give it a whirl!
                          Christopher

Comment

Lightweight 12 volt battery

Originally posted by Tyrone Shoes View Post
                            I jump started my work van with drill batteries once. They have some power.

I saw an article in the fisherman magazine for a Weego Power Source/Jump Start Box. They had multiple sizes but they don't rate them in Amp/Hr so its hard to guess what there sustained power output could be but they were made to also be a power pack. The largest one that was rated at 12000mA or 12 amps is rated to jump a 6.2 liter engine and weighs less then 2 pounds. It would be interesting to see how one of those would work out for a kayak battery. The only short coming is they don't look like they are waterproof.
                            Last edited by willf650; 06-24-2015, 04:32 PM.
                            1980 Something Old Town Canoe
                            2008 Native Ultimate 14.5
                            2015 Coosa HD
                            2016 Hobie Outback Limited Edition #56
                            2017 Pelican Trailblazer 1000 (38# of portaging freedom)

Comment

I use a shorai motorcycle battery. Feels like an empty plastic box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X