Kayak trailers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kayak trailers

Ok guys so converted my John boat trailer to hold my yaks. It will serve as both longterm storage and transport. I made a wood rack and used full length carpeted 2x4 runners/ bunks under the hulls just like a normal boat trailer. I then put tie down eyes on it for strapping each boat down separately. Do you all think this is a good idea and won't damage the hulls?

I think the carpeted bunks will be fine.

I would only loosely tighten the straps during storage to allow for expansion and contraction in temperature changes, especially if the trailer is kept outside.

Of course, tighten the straps during transport.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Yeah I just keep them loose for storage. This was while it was under construction.

I can easily remove it if need be and load the John boat back up if need be. However I may need to spread the pair of bunks away from each other to allow wider yaks

Comment

I think it might depend on the width and depth of the tunnels on your yak. If it's too wide and deep, the yak will only be supported on the boards in the front and back. PVC tubes makes sure it's supported the entire length. That or a 2x3 on top of the 2x4

Comment

Working...
        X