X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• outback owners....

any of ya'll done this mod yet?

Christopher

2016 PA 14' Olvie Drab, Torqueedo Ultralight 403, Mad Frog Gear Boards, Elite-5 ti, Berley Pro Visor and Transducer mount and some other goodies...
    2016 PA 12' Olvie Drab, Elite-5 ti, BerleyPro Visor and Transducer mount
    2013 PA 14' Olvie Drab, Elite-4x Chirp
    2013 PA 12' Olvie Drab, Elite-4 HDI

I have it on mine.

Should have come this way from factory. Love my outback so much more with the huge hatch.

Comment

I bet man! That was my initial turn off from the outback. That and the deck space compared to the PA...I like space. And the front hatch on the PA is ridiculously marvelous. Glad I put my coin into it(haven't even touched mine yet )

I was actually curious about the replacement of the rear hatch on the PA...I know the 2015 has the integrated skeg molded in the rear hatch space which is a mild bummer...My wandering mind brought me to think that just maybe if the mod would work on the rear hatch, the torqueedo battery would be able to fit inside the yak.
      Christopher

2016 PA 14' Olvie Drab, Torqueedo Ultralight 403, Mad Frog Gear Boards, Elite-5 ti, Berley Pro Visor and Transducer mount and some other goodies...

Comment

The outback really has more than enough space once you add the rectangular hatch. I really like the front hatch on the outback myself, especially the fact that I can actually reach it very easily by sitting on the deck, scooting forward a bit and hanging legs over the side.

PA is definitely huge and a more stable platform for fishing standing up. Depends what you want to do...fw, flats, and stuff like that PA is hard to beat, but for my type of fishing it is def not the best choice. The outback is just right for me...stable enough to stand when I want (which is not very often), very manueverable around pilings and stuff, but can still paddle like a normal kayak for surf launches or in the event of mirage drive failure. I would want alternative means onboard most places I fish in a PA...good call on the torqueedo. I have actually only seen the current PA once talking to somebody at cbbt, so I have no idea on how the battery will fit.
        Last edited by JohnE; 06-14-2015, 01:07 PM.

Comment

I've seen several guys on here that have done that hatch mod, they look good. Especially when they add in the tackle trays that slide right in that hatch.

Originally posted by JohnE View Post
          I really like the front hatch on the outback myself, especially the fact that I can actually reach it very easily by sitting on the deck, scooting forward a bit and hanging legs over the side.
          I sat on the front hatch a few times yesterday while tying to a piling so we could still fish with current going one way and the wind going another. Outback is plenty stable and big enough for me at 6'3" and 175lbs.
          Hobie fleet:
          2017 Quest 13
          2015 Outback
          2014 Outback

Comment

I actually bought the hatch last fall, but I went back and forth thinking about it and never did the install til winter. Some were saying it would be hard to open. I think it would be with the old style seat, but I have no issues on mine. I recommend the mod only on the current model outback. I did not do the trays. I prefer to just stick my tackle bag in there and it fits perfect.

Oh, and I am just over 6' and 240-250lbs. The outback is plenty stable for me as well. I can even paddle it standing up. It felt a little weird with the rectangular hatch at first, but no problem once I got used to where I need to place my feet.

Comment

I put this on my 2013 outback. Took a while to make the actual cuts. It leaves a big hole that can't be fixed. But once you get passed that, you'll feel better about it.

It's not that difficult to open. I had the trays but ditched them. Tackle bags, lunch box, general gear storage, it's good for just about anything.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnE View Post
                Oh, and I am just over 6' and 240-250lbs. The outback is plenty stable for me as well. I can even paddle it standing up. It felt a little weird with the rectangular hatch at first, but no problem once I got used to where I need to place my feet.
                That was my concern, if it impacts the "support frame" for standing. So no issues of it being "weaker" for standing on it?
                -Mustafa
                ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                2016 Hobie Outback
                2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

I do not think it impacts the support much if any and was informed that it will not void hull warranty. The hatch itself feels really strong and the foam blocks stay in there. I do not have my feet close together when I stand...maybe it will flex if you have a different stance? (I keep mine as wide as I can). After living with it for a while, I would say it is a no brainer and highly recommend the mod...like I said before--should have come this way to begin with.

Comment

I'm thinking of trying this mod too and using the old hatch for a bait tank. Wish Hobie wasn't so proud of their plastic, $100 bucks seems way over priced.
                    2015 Hobie Outback
                    2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Originally posted by silasvirus82 View Post
                      I'm thinking of trying this mod too and using the old hatch for a bait tank. Wish Hobie wasn't so proud of their plastic, $100 bucks seems way over priced.
                      There are cheaper options on the market by a pocket full of money. However, I don't know if they'll void the warranty on you yak.
                      Christopher

Comment

Working...
                      X