Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To Title and register your Kayak or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Title and register your Kayak or not?

Most times when we purchase a kayak, no title or state registration is required. However, with the high end expense of most new kayaks I would suggest verifing ownership and doing a full title transfer.
    If new, get it titled.
    Why title your kayak?
    Getting a title for your kayak helps verify ownership if stolen or lost.
    Titling also helps verify ownership if selling.
    In Maryland this is a very easy process and little cost.
    I just tlted my Native purchased 2 years ago from a retail seller.
    Just need the yak serial numbers molded into the yak and bill of sale. There's a simple form available from DNR.
    I didnt' have a receipt or bill of sale. However, I was able to get a copy of receipt from the seller and get a clean title for a cost of $2. Yes only $2! There may be a higher cost if you can't produce a bill of sale.
    My kayak is now registered in the Maryland boat registration system. Easy to track if ever needed.

At the cost of many kayaks, I am surprised the titling service is not offered or easy to do yourself at any DNR office.

Registration requirements
    In Maryland, if using any type power, the yak needs to also be registered, no cost for under 71/2 hp.
    This includes electric motors. I registered mine in case I ever want to use a trolling motor later. Not needed for peddling. The registration numbers and sticker should be on the yak when motorized.
    I used some camo colored letters that matched my native colors.

After owning numerous boats over the years, i would recommend getting a clean title to help protect your investment.
    <")))>< ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ><(((">
    Capt. Frank Tuma
    www.DownTimeCharters.com
    Native Slayer Propel

I doubt you will have this problem with a kayak but be careful with the camo colored numbers. I had a dnr give me flak one time for not having 6 inch lettering on a canoe that I had rigged with a trolling motor. The letters were only ~4 inches. That was at black hills early season a couple years ago. I never changed to bigger numbers... Never heard about it from other dnr since then.

Im sure if an officer wanted to, he could give you flak for the numbers being camo, but being in a yak not under power it wouldnt matter anyway

Comment

transparent numbers......"oh they're there buddy!"
      Christopher

2016 PA 14' Olvie Drab, Torqueedo Ultralight 403, Mad Frog Gear Boards, Elite-5 ti, Berley Pro Visor and Transducer mount and some other goodies...
      2016 PA 12' Olvie Drab, Elite-5 ti, BerleyPro Visor and Transducer mount
      2013 PA 14' Olvie Drab, Elite-4x Chirp
      2013 PA 12' Olvie Drab, Elite-4 HDI

Comment

pretty good idea!

even titling & not putting on numbers is a sound idea.
        thanks
        Red 2015 Hobie Outback
        Olive 2015 PA 14

Comment

They must have changed the number size. I was only required to put 3" or larger numbers on both my boat and yak.

John
          John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
          MK Endura Max 55 backup power
          Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Originally posted by john from md View Post
            They must have changed the number size. I was only required to put 3" or larger numbers on both my boat and yak.

John
            John (and others) - I just checked the MD DNR Boating site. Registration letters must be at least 3" high... so you are good to go.

===================================

The vessel number and registration decals must be displayed as follows.

Number must be painted, applied as a decal, or otherwise affixed to the forward half (bow) of each side of the vessel, placed well above the waterline.
            Number must read from left to right on both sides of the bow.
            Number must be in at least three-inch-high, bold, BLOCK letters.
            Number's color must contrast sharply with its background.
            Letters must be separated from the numbers by a space or hyphen: MD 3717 ZW or MD-3717-ZW.
            No other numbers may be displayed on either side of the bow.
            Decals must be affixed on each side of the vessel within three inches of the vessel number and may be placed in front of, behind, above, or below the number.

https://www.boat-ed.com/maryland/stu...1021_101042533

Another benefit of registering your canoe/kayak in Maryland: Pennsylvania - Registered non-powered boats, like canoes and kayaks, regardless of State of registration, can avoid paying for launch permits at many/many launch points in Pennsylvania. But just like in Maryland, there are several exception and they are well posted at launch sites.
            Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Originally posted by therevolution View Post
              I doubt you will have this problem with a kayak but be careful with the camo colored numbers. I had a dnr give me flak one time for not having 6 inch lettering on a canoe that I had rigged with a trolling motor. The letters were only ~4 inches. That was at black hills early season a couple years ago. I never changed to bigger numbers... Never heard about it from other dnr since then.

Im sure if an officer wanted to, he could give you flak for the numbers being camo, but being in a yak not under power it wouldnt matter anyway
              Yes i know the camo may not be ok, but at least there on. Ill take the warning if needed. Or ill put on temps, like for
              Inflatables, when I have engine onboard. More important is the titling if stolen, they can trace back.
              <")))>< ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ><(((">
              Capt. Frank Tuma
              www.DownTimeCharters.com
              Native Slayer Propel

Comment

just take a picture of your reciept and the kayak and anything you carry on it and just get insurance ,my insurance covers my yak if stolen lost or crash up to 5 gran it was 2 dollars more a month on my homeowners ins. no offense to law enforcement bu they have there hands full with all the real time trouble already the last thing they want to do is pursue a theft of a kayak when they have child abuse cases around the clock.stuff like this is put on the back burner in my experiance.

Comment

Working...
                X