Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rod holder alternatives for the Outback??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have the scotty 244s in the same location as the revo Ravensdfense posted, but I use powerlocks on extenders in the front so I can get my rods in just the right position to monitor rod tips when trolling and be able to easily remove them without easing up too much on the fight with fish on.

I put the gt175 gear tracks in the back for rocket launchers on yakattack track mounting plates. I mainly use the rocket launchers for vertical rod storage when I am fishing near structure. I got a 16" gt175 and cut it half with my metal bandsaw to save a few bucks over buying (2) 8 inch tracks. I have just enough room for a scotty gear head--in addition to the yakattack scotty adapter plates--for a visicarbon (or whatever else you want to stick in a gear head). I use the rear molded in rod holders for my net when I carry one. I put my lowrance in the sailing mast location and added a clam directly adjacent to that location for passing the wires through. Really loving my setup on the outback. Will take some pics next time I get it out.

-Going back to the original question...I would also suggest using the 244s with backing plates if you are going to mount rod holders. Scotty makes backing plates which will save some time over making some out of cutting board or something else (I used cutting board and made my own in the past). This time I used the scotty backing plates for the 244s--they nicely designed but unfortunately the included hardware is not machined properly...so if you decide to go this route, do yourself a favor and go out to the hardware store to buy some new stainless hardware before getting into the project (I was going to Delaware the next day and had to run out to the store after cutting off the stupid hardware they included in the kit).
    Last edited by JohnE; 06-12-2015, 10:33 PM.

Comment

I will second the harware with the scotty backing plates stinks. I'm debating between gear trac or the flush mount scotty on the wife's revo. Her fishfinder is going in the mast hole with a scotty gear head/ ram post hybrid I'm putting together

Comment

Here is a picture of the Scotty Flush Mounts I have installed on my OB. They are installed the same exact way on the Revo. They fold down when I am not using them or totally come off if I want a totally clean deck. They are secured with lock washers and nuts and sealed with marine silicone. Totally dry. I put silicone over each bolt to keep it from corroding.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
        Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
        2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Is it easy to get in there for backing plates or nuts and washers?

Comment

Not as easy as I thought it would be. It took quite a bit of stretching out. I laid on my side and reached through the center hatch. I had my wife hold a screw driver in place while I tightened the nut with a nut driver. An extra set of hands helped.

I did not place a bolt in the upper left hole (on the right side) and the upper right hand hold hole (on the left side) because I did not want the rudder cable to rub it, so at least I only had to stretch out 6 times instead of 8!

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
            2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

I do not remember to have much difficulty reaching in to install the backing plates. Probably a little harder for washers and bolts though. I forgot to mention about the rudder cable. You really need to watch the placement--it is a very tight fit to keep from rubbing.

Comment

Originally posted by RavensDfense View Post
                I also used rod holders on the gear track because it was a nice clean look, but whether you use the ball or the spine attachment on a gear trak, they will rotate if a large fish hits. I got rid of them because of this issue. If you aren't targeting anything that large you will probably be fine.

I switched to a scotty flush mounts that I located just in front of the stock rod holder. I use Scotty tube rod holders in the flush mount. I can take them off when I am not trolling so the deck stays clean. Many times, I just fold them down so it is even with the gunnel if I am not using them. I sealed the edges with marine silicone and it is bone dry. You can purchase a ram ball on the same spine base to give you additional options for installing goodies (such as the FF you see in the picture), similar to the gear trak. Here is a stock picture of a Revo, but the flush mounts on my OB (and Revo) are installed in the same location.

i'm assuming you didnt have any troubles with the rudder cables with the location of those flushmounts? do they just get pushed to the side?
                sigpic

Comment

I didn't have any difficultly when installing them there. I was very careful when I drilled my holes and did not drill a hole or place a screw in the top left (right side) or top right (left side rod holder) holes because the cables would rub. I welcome the fish that can rip it out with three nuts and bolts holding it down.

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                  2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Working...
                  X