Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rod holder alternatives for the Outback??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rod holder alternatives for the Outback??

Thinking outside of the box, can these be mounted OVER the cheap @ss existing Hobie rod holders??
    http://www.amazon.com/Scotty-Round-F...AWA746F898WQE0 ,
    '15 Yellow Hobie Outback

If there is enough "meat" around the hole to attach to I don't see why you couldn't, but my Outback has plenty of other locations that in my mind work better and reserve the Hobie holders as backups.
    2015 Hobie Outback
    2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

That's what I'm trying to plan out, in my ADD mind.. I picked up two YakAttack rails, but was sure if I actually want to use them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      '15 Yellow Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by NYstyle View Post
        That's what I'm trying to plan out, in my ADD mind.. I picked up two YakAttack rails, but was sure if I actually want to use them.

I put two 8" rails on each side of the chair for rod holders and retractors for pliers and such, then put two 4" rails in front for rod holders, fishfinder, and a cell phone mount. I thought about flush mounts like the one you pictured and I've used in the past on other boats, but they take up so much more space. Rails give you more room to work with and allow for minor placement adjustments, the only drawbacks I've found is price. Make sure if you do use rails for rod holders to pick up backing plates for added strength. Being I have the same boat I'll take some pictures and send you if you want.
        2015 Hobie Outback
        2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Sure. Thanks. I'll take all the advice/ideas I can get!

'15 Yellow Hobie Outback

Comment

Lots of us built rocket launchers out of PVC...including me. really happy with mine, it is good for trolling, has places for holding four rods straight up, doesn't do anything to modify the hull...it slides right in the rear molded in rod holders and the angle of those is plenty of friction to keep it securely in place.

http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...ocket+launcher
            Hobie fleet:
            2017 Quest 13
            2015 Outback
            2014 Outback

Comment

Front rails and acc

Back rails. Only had this setup about a month, but I wouldn't change a thing in hindsight.
              2015 Hobie Outback
              2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

That's a clean set up. I'll probably borrow some of your layout. Thanks for posting pics.
                '15 Yellow Hobie Outback

Comment

Here's what I did to solve the problem.
                  http://www.snaggedline.com/showthread.php?t=11959
                  John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
                  Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
                  2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

I also used rod holders on the gear track because it was a nice clean look, but whether you use the ball or the spine attachment on a gear trak, they will rotate if a large fish hits. I got rid of them because of this issue. If you aren't targeting anything that large you will probably be fine.

I switched to a scotty flush mounts that I located just in front of the stock rod holder. I use Scotty tube rod holders in the flush mount. I can take them off when I am not trolling so the deck stays clean. Many times, I just fold them down so it is even with the gunnel if I am not using them. I sealed the edges with marine silicone and it is bone dry. You can purchase a ram ball on the same spine base to give you additional options for installing goodies (such as the FF you see in the picture), similar to the gear trak. Here is a stock picture of a Revo, but the flush mounts on my OB (and Revo) are installed in the same location.

Last edited by RavensDfense; 06-12-2015, 03:00 PM.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
                    Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                    2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

I use Railblaza Starports and mount just fore of the factory flush-mount rodholders on my Outback. I attach the Railblaza 5" extenders to the starport so my feet avoid contact with the rods while pedaling.
                      Golden Papaya Outback

Comment

"I also used rod holders on the gear track because it was a nice clean look, but whether you use the ball or the spine attachment on a gear trak, they will rotate if a large fish hits. I got rid of them because of this issue. If you aren't targeting anything that large you will probably be fine."

I had a similar problem and a little locktite on the threads of the gear head mounts solved that problem.
                        2015 Hobie Outback
                        2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Originally posted by silasvirus82 View Post
                          "I had a similar problem and a little locktite on the threads of the gear head mounts solved that problem.
                          How do you remove it off the trak with locktite on it?

Hobie Fishing Team Member
                          Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                          2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by RavensDfense View Post
                            Haven't tried to remove either one, but I'm sure like anything else with locktite put enough pressure on it and it should break loose. With the gearhead adapters I can pop the rod holders out quickly and just leave the base attached.
                            2015 Hobie Outback
                            2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Originally posted by RavensDfense View Post

Blue loctite is removable...use the right size tooling to get it done though. That's important. Philips bits too small/big, prone to stripping the head. Using metric when standard is needed or vice versa is equally as tenacious.

Red loctite is not your friend when needing to remove..Don't use red.
                              Christopher

2016 PA 14' Olvie Drab, Torqueedo Ultralight 403, Mad Frog Gear Boards, Elite-5 ti, Berley Pro Visor and Transducer mount and some other goodies...
                              2016 PA 12' Olvie Drab, Elite-5 ti, BerleyPro Visor and Transducer mount
                              2013 PA 14' Olvie Drab, Elite-4x Chirp
                              2013 PA 12' Olvie Drab, Elite-4 HDI

Comment

Working...
                              X