Drift Chutes!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drift Chutes!!

I've used them on larger vessels before but leary if this one is big enough for a yak or not. It's 18", half the size I've ever seen run.http://http://www.austinkayak.com/pr...hor-18-in.html

What do you folks use and how big? I'm not super knowledgable on the topic. Maybe your .02 will help me make a more suitable descision on a chute.
    Christopher

2016 PA 14' Olvie Drab, Torqueedo Ultralight 403, Mad Frog Gear Boards, Elite-5 ti, Berley Pro Visor and Transducer mount and some other goodies...
    2016 PA 12' Olvie Drab, Elite-5 ti, BerleyPro Visor and Transducer mount
    2013 PA 14' Olvie Drab, Elite-4x Chirp
    2013 PA 12' Olvie Drab, Elite-4 HDI

I don't know anyone that uses one. My grandfather had one on his walleye boat, but I don't know how much he used it...never did when I was along.
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

with a pro angler and that elite 5 you have posted, there would be no need in my opinion. you can watch your gps and pedal once in a while to maintain. unless you were on a very specific slow drift type of bite in windy conditions. i haven't felt the need to have on with my pro angler yet, although I'm new to this kayak thing too
      Rich
      Hobie Pro Angler 2014 (Torqeedo Powered), Torqeedo solar panel with custom frame, Lowrance Elite-7 Chirp, sidekick (modified to fit)

Comment

Pedaling to maintain your spot to simulate anchoring while fishing bait on the bottom is a losing strategy in my experience. It sounds good but doesn't work in practice, especially if there is any wind. I've been doing a lot of catfishing lately and have been stuck in some situations where I was anchored with wind at my back pushing me upstream. To combat this I first stuck my feet in the water to give myself a little more drag. This helped but I was still having trouble. Finally I took some extra rope and tied it to the handles of a plastic grocery bag, dropped it in the water next to me to make sure it deployed correctly and before I knew it I had a perfect ghetto drift sock!

This does look much nicer but it would be just another thing to bring and anchoring with wind at my back is the only application I can think of. Drifting for flounder or anything like that you can back troll effectively in any kind of wind/current situation.
        Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Since we are on the subject, I have one (bought it cheap off someone who didn't want it many moons ago) but don't know the proper way to use it. Yes the Interwebs is a great resource, but I wanted to cull the great halls of Snaggedline University first. Any tips or tricks on how to use one properly?
          -Mustafa
          ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
          2016 Hobie Outback
          2012 Hobie Revolution 13
          "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Thought I might need it so I bought one five years ago. I fish in open water or where there's a lot of current. I never used the chute. I guess because I make do with the Hobie drive, heavy sinkers, and whatever.
            2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
            2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
            2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

It's like GoPro for 90% people, discharged and collecting dust on shelves. Being a Hobie kayaker, I don't need it.
              joe
              Last edited by ComeOnFish; 06-10-2015, 05:52 AM.
              Fish like there's no tomorrow.
              Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
              https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Working...
              X