First skunk of year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First skunk of year

I sent to my usual stomping ground at Swain's on Upper Potomac Saturday morning. The water level was fine after the weeks rains, and cool weather. The fish were nowhere to be found. I tried shoreline eddies, mid river ledges, behind individual boulders , and slower moving pools. NADA.

I threw tubes, Senko, grubs, buzzers, rapalas, shallow cranks, wake baits, beetle spin. NADA.

I saw a Bald Eagle, cool views of early morning fog bank coming down the river, geese, several kinds of ducks, a few cool songbirds. Warblers, and flycatchers.

Nice morning for a paddle.

Water was muddy 8" via on Maryland bank, about double that on Va. Bank..

Oh well, maybe next time.
    Hurricane Skimmer 128
    WS Pamlico 100

Last year we did a float trip ending at Swains lock. It was a bear trying to haul the kayak and gear up on that 8-10 foot cliff. Is there a better way?
    Donnie

2012 Malibu Steath 14
    2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Nope still have to drag up an occasionally slick and muddy cliff.
      Hurricane Skimmer 128
      WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Rats Gary, sorry to hear that. I still haven't hit the Potomac yet this year. Too many things keeping me away at the moment. I'm looking forward to hitting the Breaks, Pennyfield, or Swains sometime soon. I can't wait for the topwater bite!
        Tom

Comment

I wanted to hit the Breaks yesterday but got caught up helping the father in law fix his truck. Sounds like I didn't miss much. They were biting good last weekend before all the rain. It's supposed to be hot all week but no rain. I am going to try and go next Saturday.

Comment

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I will be able to get out Friday evening on the Potomac for some smallmouth fishing.

Comment

Hit the breaks today. Skunked. Water was muddy and a little high. Floated through really fast.

Comment

Working...
              X