Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electric Bilge Pump... maybe this weather has got me bored but I'm gonna give it a go

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric Bilge Pump... maybe this weather has got me bored but I'm gonna give it a go

Electric Bilge Pump... maybe this weather has got me bored but I'm gonna give it a go...

Actually it wouldn't really be in the "bilge" but I'd put it down by my feet...
    I don't need tons of water pumped out... but maybe better than the old sponge and I wouldn't have to stop paddling.

Here's a vid of one not installed but sort of a review of one...
    He tests it using a 5v USB connector and then a small 12v battery...

I wouldn't be doing anything fancy.. make a switch right behind my fishfinder.. easy on and off.

So those choppy days... I'd just drop it down by foot.. and run it when needed.

They are selling for about $6.50 cents on Ebag... shipping from the US.. so what the heck I'm gonna get one.

He takes it apart in the beginning of the vid... Brushless motor, stainless steel construction etc etc...

Skip to 9 minutes and he puts it to test with 5v and 12v... $6.50... is worth a shot

I carry a hand bilge pump nothing to install or batteries to die..
    you could get one of the Atwood D-cell battery operated pumps. just turn it on and drop into the hull

Comment

That is a concept... I just looked at some after your suggestion... looks about the size of a coffee can ?

Would be too big for me... but thanks for the idea.

I dropped the trigger and ordered the pump $6 free shipping, and a waterproof switch for the same price.
      The pump I order is so small it will accommodate my requirements...
      and maybe a second use I could use it for a live well pump.
      After catching spot... pulling the 'minnow' bucket in the water has been like towing an anchor..

thanks again..

Comment

please post the link ......... I could probably use a couple. Looks like the perfect livewell pump. Just enough flow to keep the fresh circulation but not enough to make them tired. Interesting for the bilge pump though. Would be good for some splash but might be light if you really needed it. I love the price and the small size. wonder if you could find a small and cheap float valve too.

Comment

yes... certainly not really a "bilge" pump... there's a bunch of vids on the net with guys that installed a proper one,
          and they dump water out of the yak like a water hose... but I really didn't need that.
          And yes... it's for the "splash" on those days that I get filled up down by my feet.. that pushes up towards my seat on
          a large wave.
          So... it would be cool to just flip/push a switch... and not stop paddling to get rid of the water... as opposed to the sponge.

No problem'em'o on the links... you can do a search for...
          Mini DC 12V 3M 240L/H Brushless Motor Submersible Water Pump...

and you will find a bunch... the guy said he got his on Amazon... mine was on Ebay...
          If you look at the video closely... there are differences in the brackets...

The one I got... is different (bracket), I thought it was the same.. hopefully the "stainless" etc is the same...

Any way... one of my decisions was "Item Location"... USA... there's a bunch shipped from China.
          Here's the link for the one I got...
          http://www.ebay.com/itm/331300684037
          On checkout... I got another 31cents discount.. don't know why... so the price was under $6 shipped.

Here's the link for the button I bought... it ships from Florida... $6.80
          http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrome-Glow-...-/271675826438

If you find one that matches the one in the video... might be a good choice.

When I first got my FF... I didn't have a dedicated 12v battery that we use... so I got/made a battery pack with AA batteries for my rechargable AA bats.
          So that option to use is easily brought into the scenario.

Obviously... I'll let you know about mine once I get it next week.

Cheers !

p.s.... My kayak is a modified bath tub... and well if I pulled the plug to drain.. I'd sink.
          Last edited by rob-kayak; 06-05-2015, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Got the little pump and button yesterday.. that was fast. Did a quick test, fitted the pump with 7/16 tube... and it really does pump quite a bit of water in a few seconds. I was very impressed.
            So after I figure out the logistics of installation... I think this will be pretty neat... and very handy.

Comment

Finished putting everything together yesterday... it stores away in a bag.. that I can pull out and plug in if I need it.
              The pump as mentioned does pull rather well. It doesn't suck every little bit of water out because the pump needs to be submersed.
              Or at least the intake needs to be in enough water enough so it doesn't cavitate with an air bubble.

But more than adequate for it's intended purpose to move a gallon of water.

As far as a live well pump, you might need to step down the voltage from 12v because it might be too much water flow...
              but I don't have experience with live wells and what is actually is required.
              But I do have the on off button option.

Comment

i believe hobie uses a 6V battery to slow down a 12V pump.
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X