What is a 2005 Hobie Outback worth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is a 2005 Hobie Outback worth?

I'm thinking about buying a 2005 Hobie Outback SUV in average condition. What do you think this is worth?

Any issues with this model? I'm buying used as this is my first fishing Kayak and not sure how often I will get to use it. Thanks for any feedback!!!

Is this just too old or do these things go forever?

Comment

If the hull is in decent shape and the mirage drive works I wouldn't hesitate. Prob worth 400-500 maybe
      2015 Hobie Outback
      2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Every year Hobie improves the kayaks. Models older than 2009 were prone to cracking around the drive and scuppers. I would get something newer than 2009 Get the newest model year that's fits into your budget.

Comment

Originally posted by silasvirus82 View Post
          If the hull is in decent shape and the mirage drive works I wouldn't hesitate. Prob worth 400-500 maybe
          Thats helpful, the hull looked good but the gentlemen wanted $900 for it. I'm not seeing a lot of used Hobie prices in my searches so this is helpful. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by plastic boat View Post
            Every year Hobie improves the kayaks. Models older than 2009 were prone to cracking around the drive and scuppers. I would get something newer than 2009 Get the newest model year that's fits into your budget.
            Right, research the models that had cracking issues. 2009 may be the year but I can't remember. I had one that cracked and I filled up with water in the middle of the bay!

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Kokatat Pro Staff
            Torqeedo Pro Staff
            Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
            Alan

Comment

They switched from the mirage drive cam lock (twist style) to the click in go in 2008. Boats prior to 2008 were prone to cracking in the mirage drive area and scupper areas. Post 2008 boats have additional reinforcement in the mirage drive area and post 2011 (I'll have to double check, it may be 2012) have reinforced scupper holes with hard plastic inserts molded in.

That being said, a 2005 that has been cared for and kept out of the sun could still be a good buy. I had a 2007 Revo that I purchased used for my wife and as long as you stick with the stock small fins and don't overload it it will last you years. I'd also recommend not using a scupper cart with these older boats, especially the old shorter versions that did not fully clear the scupper holes.

I ended up selling mine for 800 with a cart, paddle, life jacket, and a rod holder a year or so ago to make room for another kayak to give you an idea for price.
              Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
              Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
              https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

2012 is when they started reinforcing the scupper holes. Ask me how know,
                Jim

Hobie Outback
                TKAA member
                Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers inc.

Everyone should believe in something... I believe I'll go fishing.

Comment

Ok. I'll bite. How do you know?

image.jpg

Originally posted by Rockchaser View Post
                  2012 is when they started reinforcing the scupper holes. Ask me how know,

Comment

Originally posted by echo5oscar View Post
                    Ok. I'll bite. How do you know?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15998[/ATTACH]
                    Please keep your sausage out of my hole.
                    Jim

Hobie Outback
                    TKAA member
                    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers inc.

Everyone should believe in something... I believe I'll go fishing.

Comment

I'll try, but the fit is too good.

Comment

Working...
                      X