WS tarpon hatch leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WS tarpon hatch leak

Has any one fixed the issue with the orbix hatches leaking? Had about 2 cups of water in the boat after my last outing. Had alot of water over the bow.

Only 2 cups? Is this a new 2015 Tarpon? I know WS upgraded the material and design on the hatch for 2015. I have a 2013 or 2014 Tarpon 120 that I purchased in March from a rental company in DC. It had had a hard life. I took off the hatch, replaced the foam gasket below the hatch with a 1/8 inch thick med hard rubber one piece gasket I cut myself. I set it and the hatch back down with 3M 4200 sealant. I replaced the foam gasket between the hatch base and the cover that opens with a new closed foam strip with adhesive backing and added a second foam strip on the outside ridge. On the Thursday before Memorial Day weekend, a friend and I went out launching from SPSP. We moved south of the bridge due to the rolling waves when we launched and fished along the 15 foot line just outside the crab traps on the western shore for a few hours. Each run toward the bridge brought lots of waves over the bow and into the cockpit. When I got home I estimate that I had about 3 gallons of water in the boat. Some of the water may have come from the small round hatch in the cockpit where I have not replaced the O-ring but most likely came from the front hatch so I have not had any luck fixing mine but I would have been impressed if I only had 2 cups after that day.

Jack
    Red Wilderness Tarpon 120
    2014 Papaya Hobie Outback

Comment

Its a 2013, 2 cups was a rough estimate.. lol. May have been more. I was thinking seal around the hatch with some Marine grade silicone, and possibly replace the hatch gasket ...just haven't found anything yet. I was under the impression these would be water tight.

Comment

I own tarpon 120, 2014 model. Keep it outside in the shade, but not covered from rain. It gets some water inside, if it rains on it (not a gallon though). Most water I got was a cup, after couple days of heavy rain. I just store it upside down on the pvc stands now. Problem solved. Water leakage through hatch is a simple design issue. The hatch opening sits 1/8 inch lower than the deck itself. When water collects around the hatch opening (because it sits lower than the deck), it has nowhere to go but into the kayak. Not the brightest design idea.
        “As no man is born an artist, so no man is born an angler.” - Izaak Walton

Comment

Only way to fix it is to permanently seal the hatch or replace with a different hatch. I had gallons of water in my tarpon a couple times in choppy conditions. Tarpons are really only for very light people because of the stupid hatch design. The hatch leaks under the hinge area very easily even if you buy a new replacement.

Comment

I agree that a lighter person would not see as much water going in over the bow in choppy conditions. I am 6' 3" and about 205. I probably carry too much in my crate but I have the battery in the forward hatch right near the forward scuppers. I have noticed that the bow rides a bit low and am planning to move the battery back to see if this helps with the trim. There are two things I don't like about the Tarpon or WS in general, the front hatch and the lack of replacement parts for the seat. You can find replacement back rests but not the base. Anyway for most conditions the hatch is OK even in the rain I have only had a small amount of water come in but if you are in heavy chop you definitely need to monitor the water level in the hull while you are on the water.

Jack
            Red Wilderness Tarpon 120
            2014 Papaya Hobie Outback

Comment

Working...
            X