There are many:

Length/ Power/ Action/Braid Line/Lure weight

TVSC66XL 6'6 Extra Light, Med Fast, 20-30#, 75g
    TVSC63L 6'3 Light, Med Fast, 30-40#, 90g
    TVSC63ML 6'3 Med Light, Med Fast, 40-50#, 110g
    TVSC63M 6'3 Med, Med Fast, 40-60#, 135g
    TVSC63MH 6'3 Med Heavy, Med Fast, 50-80#, 168g

(1 ounce = 28.3 grams)

Which one do you recommend for the following?
    - Flounder jigging (jig 1-2 ounces)
    - Tog fishing (hang 1-3 ounces)

I take it all these rods can handle cobia or bull reds, no?
    Last edited by tufnik; 05-31-2015, 03:17 PM.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

I could be mistaken but I don't think you jig for Cobia. You need to cast to them so these rods will not be great for that.

I have the Med and it's good for 2-4oz tog/sheep. I haven't tried jigging for flounder with those but I usually don't more than a 2oz bucktail. Maybe you should go for the Light rod then.

Comment

Originally posted by HokieDJ View Post
      I could be mistaken but I don't think you jig for Cobia. You need to cast to them so these rods will not be great for that.

I have the Med and it's good for 2-4oz tog/sheep. I haven't tried jigging for flounder with those but I usually don't more than a 2oz bucktail. Maybe you should go for the Light rod then.
      My point is if they are strong enough to handle bigger fish. For example, I was jigging for flounder last year and inadvertently hooked up with and landed bull reds. My XML rod did well, but I would have preferred a longer handle.

The Med seems about right for togs. Would you go with the Light?
      2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

I have all five of these rods...I know overkill. I like the sport of it, so I use the extra light a lot. I have caught 22" tog with it as well as an 8 lb. flounder. all of these rods are incredible. I have never caught a cobia or bull red but from what I know from using all of them, I think the med heavy and med could pull the stopper out.

Comment

I have recently gone with all St. Croix Avid X rods- Loved the St. Croix Tidemaster series but the Avid inshore rods have SCIII blanks and they seem to have a lot crisper action than the Tidemaster SCII blanks...made in the USA to boot...
          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

For tog: TVSC63MH 6'3 Med Heavy, Med Fast 50-80#, 168g - This is what the most of us use. It is a very light rod for one-hand setting hook.
            Tomorrow I will try this rod for flounder.

Tomorrow I will bring Tescata so you can feel it. This one I catch from spot to bull red. It's been my main flounder rod. I used only this rod in summer at CHSP for flounder, triggerfish, tog, striper

joe
            Fish like there's no tomorrow.
            Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
            https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Working...
            X