Mattawoman 5/30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mattawoman 5/30

Makbf is hosting the 4th event of the year this weekend. Hope many of you can come join for some fun competitive and friendly fishing. Check in starts Saturday morning at 6am at slavins boat ramp in Indian head, md. Entry fee is $25 and big bass is $5.

The event is the total length of 3 largemout/smallmouth bass. The hawg trough is the standard measuring device and we ask lines to be marked with a sharpie. I will have 1-2 extras for people to borrow if needed. We also you a live scoring program accessed via smartphones. This is the only thing you need to register before hand for, it is free, just need to be in the system for tournament day http://www.kayakfishingseries.com/to...nt.php?id=3419

We will also be having a sub category for the longest fish non bass species.

If we have 35 anglers first place will take home $350 plus prizes. But we hope to have even more. Cash is paid out to top 3 and for big bass.

Other prizes include boonedox tbone double hitch extender, Devils backbone brewery prize pack, hard head custom baits, butter it baits $50 certificate, Powerteam lures custom kit certificate.

Check out the webpage for more details. Www.makbf.blogspot.com.

Hello do I need to belong to a fishing club for this,or is it a open event.im new to kayak fishing and I am new to snagged line,if somebody could put me in the right direction that would be great.

Comment

Originally posted by Tj Stewart View Post
      Hello do I need to belong to a fishing club for this,or is it a open event.im new to kayak fishing and I am new to snagged line,if somebody could put me in the right direction that would be great.
      No membership necessary, all of our events are open to everyone and very affordable. 10% of all entry fees are donated to heroes on the water as well.

Comment

Ok Ty for the info

Comment

I would love to see some pictures and hear a description of how things went for folks in the tournament. I've gotten my share of skunks from the mattawoman. It sounds like with the totals reported people were at least catching something.
          John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
          Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
          2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

First let me say that I have fished every MAKBF event except for one since Matt started this series back in 2013. He does a fantastic job with these tournaments and most importantly he follows through with everything he has promised the anglers. Matt fished with us during the events in 2013 and 2014 but this year he has stepped back and is not on the water with us so that he can assist any competitor in need and manage the tournament. Thank you for making that sacrifice Matt! I want to see if there is a way to help get you back out there fishing with us!

Regarding yesterday at Mattawoman. The general consensus I have gathered reading reports and talking with other anglers regarding the largemouth bass fishing on the Tidal Potomac is that it is not the "salad days" of 3 to 5 seasons ago where largemouth bass seemed to be anywhere and everywhere. There are still plenty of bass down there but the angler must pay greater attention to location and tide. If both are right you can load the boat in 30 minutes. If either are wrong you can be left wondering where all the bass went.

I wound up catching 16 bass during the competition hours. Since I have had some really tough days down on the Tidal Potomac this season, I went back out after the tournament and caught another 14 largemouth. 90 percent of the bass I caught came on a swim jig with a baby paca craw trailer. This presentation slides through the aquatic vegetation without collecting weeds or constantly hanging up. You can fish it much like you would fish a spinnerbait and you can allow it to drop down to the bottom as you would with a normal jig and craw type presentation. An effective technique yesterday was to retrieve it just under the surface over a clump of milfoil or hydrilla then kill it and allow it to drop on the other side of the clump.

Here are my 3 bass from the tournament which landed me in fourth place. If you notice I have my tournament identifier slipped under the tail of the fish. DO NOT DO THIS IN A TOURNAMENT. The bottom fish in this set flicked his tail and sent my identifier flying into the Potomac NEVER TO BE SEEN AGAIN so my competition day ended prematurely! In the end it did not affect my placing so it was not big deal.

Here are some of the better fish I caught after my id went flying.

Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Very impressive performance Dave. Way to go.
              John Veil
              Annapolis
              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Nice work! And many thanks for the detailed info and pictures. I may be headed down tomorrow. It looks like I should have joined you guys on saturday. I've always been one to shy away from the pack, but it looks like I would have learned a lot from joining you all.
                John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
                Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
                2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

Nice fish Dave! Sorry the identifier went flying, but at least it didn't impact your tourney.
                  WS ATAK

Comment

Man that is impressive. I felt good having caught 3! Due to my two previous skunks there. Alas didn't get a picture of all three...one felt the strong calling to return to the water whilst on the trough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                    Hidden Oak 2014 NATIVE SLAYER PROPEL 13
                    Tarpon 120
                    Ascend D10T

Personal bests
                    25 &1/4" Pickerel

SUBSCRIBE TO MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
                    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXjKlcf7rw_SwanvTarJVCg
                    Facebook:https://www.facebook.com/pages/Beyon...46820392155412

Comment

ive been meaning to take a trip down to mattawoman but havent gotten the chance yet. i can see on google maps that there are two state parks. smallwood and mattawoman state. which is best to launch from? are there a lot of rocks that could cause damage to the hobie mirage drive that would make it better to bring my paddle yak instead? is one location better than the other for snakehead and/or bass?

thanks!
                      Michael
                      2016 Hobie Mirage Outback
                      Ocean Kayak Prowler 13

Comment

Mattawoman ......... Slavins ramp

Comment

Originally posted by Mbae View Post
                          ...are there a lot of rocks that could cause damage to the hobie mirage drive that would make it better to bring my paddle yak instead?
                          There are no rocks that I'm aware of. But your Mirage Drive may get fouled if the vegetation is high. (And the fish are deep in the cover.) It won't ruin the drive but you may stall in the water unless you pull and clean your drive periodically. Your rudder may get tangled in the growth also. Ultimately you may be paddling more than usual in your Outback. You may want to consider your paddle yak.
                          Mark
                          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

My footage from MATTAWOMAN. While I did not catch quantity I caught quality.....just wish I had gotten the pics.....got good advice from Jed though! From now on first pic will be with the grip on!

https://youtu.be/xNngPELdwuU

Only a matter of time.

Hidden Oak 2014 NATIVE SLAYER PROPEL 13
                            Tarpon 120
                            Ascend D10T

Personal bests
                            25 &1/4" Pickerel

SUBSCRIBE TO MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
                            http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXjKlcf7rw_SwanvTarJVCg
                            Facebook:https://www.facebook.com/pages/Beyon...46820392155412

Comment

Originally posted by Yakie_Noodle View Post
                              My footage from MATTAWOMAN. While I did not catch quantity I caught quality.....just wish I had gotten the pics.....got good advice from Jed though! From now on first pic will be with the grip on!

https://youtu.be/xNngPELdwuU

Only a matter of time.

Thanks for the video. Gives me an idea of what kind of areas exist in the area. I will possibly be making my way up to Mattawoman for the first time this sunday. Really looking forward to it. Hoping to catch some nice bass and snakehead! Which area did you launch from in this video? Are there a lot of areas with heavy vegetation like shown in the video?
                              Michael
                              2016 Hobie Mirage Outback
                              Ocean Kayak Prowler 13

Comment

Working...
                              X