Another missing kayaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another missing kayaker

Guys please be very careful on the Susquehanna. The water release can be very powerful and the rocks make it really hazardous. That water will pin and flip you over a rock in a heartbeat.
    We are seeing more and more of these cases, and I believe it's a result of the boom in kayaking. There are lots of inexperienced folks getting in over their heads. We'll continue to help out the new guys so this happens less. #1 wear your life vest.

http://patch.com/maryland/havredegra...tm_content=aol

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Kokatat Pro Staff
    Torqeedo Pro Staff
    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
    Alan

I was upriver Monday morning fishing the old pilings and Rock pools. Pulled in 6 smallies, no stripers. Anyway, plenty of kayakers in the rocks and not one wearing a PFD. I saw one older gentleman fly fishing that was wearing his....the rest young and dumb.
    2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Why anyone would not wear essential life saving equipment is beyond me. It's not limited to a PFD on the water either, there are numerous people I work with that still refuse to wear their body armor while on shift because it's hot or uncomfortable. Some people you just can't reach.
      Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk
      Chris

Pompano 120
      Pescador 10

Comment

It's called natural selection and I'm ok with it
        2015 Hobie Outback
        2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Only responsible persons act responsible. Wear the vest. I am trying to figure out who would be out that late in unfamiliar waters
          Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
          Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

They were in a canoe no vests from the news, I love the Susquehanna but it needs to be respected
            Snow Camo Lure 11.5
            Pod mounted 30lbs trolling motor
            Hummingbird Helix 5
            Kayak fishing and inviting! Doing what I love!

Comment

Originally posted by silasvirus82 View Post
              It's called natural selection and I'm ok with it

+1

Comment

I don't particular like to hear of any human being injured or killed, through their own fault or not. Well maybe if they were trying to hurt someone else. Time for some quiet criticism over the dinner table can come later, at least after they find the body.

Humans are not always the smartest or most rational of creatures. Any time kayaker dies, those not interested in the sport, could have a similar thought, if the victim has all the right gear or not. It's kind of inherently dangerous and likely looks ridiculous to someone on the outside, thinking what's that idiot doing out in the middle of the bay, just for the thrill of catching a fish.

Natural selection can also entail the stronger sometimes stomping on the head the weaker to take their stuff. I'm not quite a big fan or ok with it.

Comment

Thanks for posting this, it's an important message. I was on the Susquehanna a week ago for the first time and was very surprised how strong the currents were in some areas with many of the rocks hidden right below the surface. If I wasn't paying constant attention and course correcting, I'm sure I would have made contact. Definitely stay vigilant, PFD and whistle should be mandatory.
                  -Omid

2015 ivory outback

Comment

Originally posted by Dimo View Post
                    ....PFD and whistle should be mandatory.
                    I am pretty sure a life jacket must be worn in that area. Maybe someone else can chime in on that....

Comment

Originally posted by echo5oscar View Post
                      I am pretty sure a life jacket must be worn in that area. Maybe someone else can chime in on that....
                      No special regulations as far as I know. Just required to have on the boat like everywhere else.
                      Last edited by reel-em-in; 05-28-2015, 09:43 AM.

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

I think the another problem is the false sense of security people get since they can swim just fine but its usually in a pool, or some area close to shore. They do not realize the potential stronger current, colder water, long distance from shore, or even being the potential of being knocked unconscious from an accident when they go in. I personally don't mind wearing my vest, and actually find it useful to have the pockets to keep my knife, pliers etc within reach.
                        Mike

2015 Hidden Oak Slayer Propel 10

Comment

yea... mandatory, not from a regs standpoint but just common sense.
                          -Omid

2015 ivory outback

Comment

Originally posted by reel-em-in View Post
                            No special regulations as far as I know. Just required to have on the boat like everywhere else.
                            The only river in MD that mandates wearing a PFD is found on the entire non-tidal section of the Potomac River, and this is only seasonally. On the Potomac a PFD must be worn at all times from November 15 to May 14. Rational for this time period is the risk of hypothermia if you fall in during the cold-water months.

As far as I can tell there are no requirements on wearing PFDs on the flowing Susky.
                            Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Did they ever find the guy?
                              Olive Trophy 126 - Moored at Rocky Gorge Scott's Cove

Personal Records at Rocky Gorge
                              Largemouth Bass: 21 inches
                              Northern Pike: 24 inches
                              Crappie: 12 inches
                              Channel Catfish: 18 inches

Comment

Working...
                              X