First trip kayak fishing in my new Moken 12.5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First trip kayak fishing in my new Moken 12.5

I got out for my first time kayak fishing ever this morning in Stoney Creek. I wanted somewhere I could paddle and get comfortable without much drama. I don't want to get out in any big water or busy areas until I get acclimated to the kayak, rudder system, and all my new equipment. I ended up paddling about 5 miles and spent ~4 hours on the water. I didn't catch much, just some perch that weren't big enough to bother with, but it's better than getting skunked on your first time out!

I haven't done much fishing in the past 10-15 years aside from just tossing in a bottom rig and hanging out. I'm pretty sure I would have caught more if I knew what I was doing, but I'm not sure what to rig up or even where to fish.

Any suggestions on where I could go next that I could actually catch some fish worth keeping and eating? The closer to home (Severn/21144) the better!

IMAG0981.jpg
    - Justin
    2017 Native Watercraft Titan 13.5
    2018 Jackson Coosa

Good to get the skunk off right off the bat! I'm out by Salisbury so no help on spots. I am new to the kayak fishing too and have found that one key is trying to launch where you can fish pretty quickly. At least somewhat productive water that can be trolled through on the way to "the spot". Good looking yak, enjoy!

Comment

I got out again Monday for the holiday. Put in at Jonas Green and headed back up into the Severn... After the Severn trip I'm thinking I'm comfortable enough to try the bay... If anyone it's headed out this Saturday morning and don't mind babysitting let me know.

The Severn did let me land my first pickerel though! I caught like a half dozen small pickerel that morning.... Fun day

- Justin
      2018 Jackson Coosa

Comment

Justin,

Congratulations on your new kayak and your successful test runs.

I'm impressed that you lipped a pickerel. Must be good gloves!
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Yeah those things have some needle sharp teeth... I had the gloves handy and the fish were kinda small to try and get them by the gills...
          - Justin
          2018 Jackson Coosa

Comment

lol i have never seen anyone lip a pickerel . nice boat
            2016 Hobie Outback
            2014 Jackson Kilroy

Comment

Next time grab the fish by the top just down from the head. It will immobilize them and you will keep your fingers!!! Nice fish Though ~

Comment

Originally posted by jmt1980 View Post
                I got out again Monday for the holiday. Put in at Jonas Green and headed back up into the Severn... After the Severn trip I'm thinking I'm comfortable enough to try the bay... If anyone it's headed out this Saturday morning and don't mind babysitting let me know.

The Severn did let me land my first pickerel though! I caught like a half dozen small pickerel that morning.... Fun day
                I wouldn't mind floating with you, I live in Bowie, and need a partner. I don't think I'm ready for the bay just yet tho. Only been out 2 times so far

Comment

Working...
                X