No announcement yet.

How do you carry your Yak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've used this rack made from 2" PVC for years and have hauled as much as a canoe and two heavy kayaks (my Ride 135 and a Jackson Tripper 12). I made it to fit tight in the back of my ranger, but also strap it to the truck bed as shown. Boats are on and fastened in just a few minutes. I slide my ride right up the back of the PVC. I got the idea from a picture I saw on the web years ago. I believe it was an ultralite maker and they used smaller PVC. I've been questioned about the integrity of the PVC for this, but I have never had any issue. I was even rear ended to the point of bending my truck frame while hauling a canoe and the rack and canoe remained in place. I also use two straight pieces of PVC fastened to my minivan roof rack with very heavy wire ties to haul multiple boats.

IMG_1252.jpgIMG_1253.jpgIMG_1254.jpg
    Bill

2018 Hobie Compass - Seagrass Green
    2015 Wilderness Ride 135 - Green Camo

Comment

LivinTheDream,

That's excellent work.

We kayakers are quite inventive with PVC.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

On top of jeep roll cage, bed of truck or my handy little trailer. Actually rolled the trailer during hunting season so had to replace axle and new tongue so better than new.

IMG_0887b.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by jwalk View Post
          On top of jeep roll cage, bed of truck or my handy little trailer. Actually rolled the trailer during hunting season so had to replace axle and new tongue so better than new.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15997[/ATTACH]
          I like the trailer!!! Where did you get it? Or did you build it?
          Hobie fleet:
          2017 Quest 13
          2015 Outback
          2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
            I like the trailer!!! Where did you get it? Or did you build it?
            1954 homebuilt if I recall. My Buddy had it for years, he sprung it over and put the 35's under it. I added the Yakima racks so I could carry the yaks.

Comment

Or on the roll bar and windshield frame:
              [/QUOTE]

those jeep numbers look awful familiar....are you cowboy(something or another) from MJC? I rolled with them for a couple years....
              Christopher

2016 PA 14' Olvie Drab, Torqueedo Ultralight 403, Mad Frog Gear Boards, Elite-5 ti, Berley Pro Visor and Transducer mount and some other goodies...
              2016 PA 12' Olvie Drab, Elite-5 ti, BerleyPro Visor and Transducer mount
              2013 PA 14' Olvie Drab, Elite-4x Chirp
              2013 PA 12' Olvie Drab, Elite-4 HDI

Comment

Originally posted by RustedAngler View Post
                those jeep numbers look awful familiar....are you cowboy(something or another) from MJC? I rolled with them for a couple years....
                Yep, that's me.
                Hobie fleet:
                2017 Quest 13
                2015 Outback
                2014 Outback

Comment

Holy mackeral! Small waters we're in! You still mess around on the MJC boards? I still keep in touch with a handful of those folks on social media and what nots. Rough seas fell upon me and had to pull the ripcord on the yj. That was then, I'm sailing in better waters now. I need me a jeep again.
                  Christopher

2016 PA 14' Olvie Drab, Torqueedo Ultralight 403, Mad Frog Gear Boards, Elite-5 ti, Berley Pro Visor and Transducer mount and some other goodies...
                  2016 PA 12' Olvie Drab, Elite-5 ti, BerleyPro Visor and Transducer mount
                  2013 PA 14' Olvie Drab, Elite-4x Chirp
                  2013 PA 12' Olvie Drab, Elite-4 HDI

Comment

Working...
                  X