Time to replace my PFD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to replace my PFD?

Been using my Kokatat PFD on every yak trip for five years. The yellow pads are faded, the straps are only slightly frayed, and the pocket zipper is broken. Other than that, it's functional and fits me well. I believe it still has it's 16 lb buoyancy.

Anyway, any experienced boaters/whoever have a rule of thumb on when it should be replaced? I'm thinking about getting a new one, just because my trusty one is "old" and "maybe it's about time."
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Efrin -

You raise a good point. I doubt that you have "worn out" or "rendered unsafe" your current PFD. I wore the same old-fashioned PFD from 2001 until this past winter, when I broke down and bought a new one (NRS Chinook). The old one was comfortable, but had no pockets and had gotten quite dirty over the years. I like most things about the new PFD (plenty of pockets -- allows me to keep a small Leatherman tool and my radio secured in pockets and bright orange color for visibility), but don't think it is quite as comfortable as my old pale green goofy-looking one. Perhaps I need to make more strap adjustments.

You need to decide whether you are ready for a new one. In any case, the existing one has provided years of good service for you and has justified its original purchase price.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Yeah, it provided good service and it works fine. But using new equipment is part of the fun...lol. BTW, what is that black plastic square on the left side (chest level) of the Chinook PFD? I have the same thing on my PFD, but not sure what it's used for. Also, you must have a small radio to be able to fit it in the side pocket.

Comment

The water is warming up, test it out! I sincerely doubt you've worn it out... but that't not a reason not to buy one!
        Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
        Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
        https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

I will keep the old one as long as it doesn't bother me. I always have issues with PFD. Abrasion/bruise on my neck, under arm area, sides and the center of the back. So I bought $10.00 - $12.00 PFD. Though, They became $300 PFD. I like at least 2 straps in the front so I can hang, attach, or connect stuff. But attached stuff required me additional self rescue practice because stuff that are attached to the front of the PFD is often in the way during reentry.

The reason they became $300 PFD is that I modified the PFD. I cut off or added flotation stuff and re-stitched the PFD. I charge me $300/hour for my fishing time.

If it doesn't hurt me I will keep it. That's me
          Fish like there's no tomorrow.
          Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
          https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
            BTW, what is that black plastic square on the left side (chest level) of the Chinook PFD? I have the same thing on my PFD, but not sure what it's used for. Also, you must have a small radio to be able to fit it in the side pocket.
            I don't know what the black square is used for -- maybe to clip on a light or strobe? I have a typical sized ICOM VHF radio, but do not use a clip on it. I place it in the large pocket on the right side and leave the zipper open enough for the antenna to stick out. So far, so good. My small Leatherman tool, which has good scissors for cutting braid, fits in the small zipper pocket on the right. Since I never had any tools attached to my previous PFD, I am not in the habit of clipping pliers, cutters, hemostats, etc. to the front. I do not like things hanging off the front or dangling around -- too easy to get tangles. Therefore, I removed the black tube with the coiled line on the right side. Some times I use one of the other zipper pockets for car keys or a granola bar.

After two months of hard use, the bright orange is getting dirty. My next learning experience is figuring out how to clean it.
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I attached carabineers with short small diameter bungee cords to the black patch on my PFD to hold to hold my line clippers and knife.

No problem with tangles yet and it keeps those two tools where I can reach them easily.

A.jpg
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

That is where I attach my NRS Pilot knife.

Comment

Been using my Kokatat' PFD on every yak trip for five years. The yellow pads are faded, the straps are only slightly frayed, and the pocket zipper is broken. Other than that, it's functional and fits me well. I believe it still has it's 16 lb buoyancy.

Anyway, any experienced boaters/whoever have a rule of thumb on when it should be replaced? I'm thinking about getting a new one, just because my trusty one is "old" and "maybe it's about time."
                  From STEARNS on pfd replacement:
                  A Personal Flotation Device (PFD), like any other equipment, eventually gets old and worn and must be replaced.When should you replace PFD's? Broken zippers and frayed webbing's are frequent indicators of a worn-out device. Less obvious is the cover fabric of a PFD, which has been weakened by extensive exposureto sunlight.

Most PFD's are covered wth nylon or polyester fabrics. These materials are plastics, and like many plastics,they can start to break down after extended exposure to the ultraviolet (UV) light in sunlight. A weak cover could split open and allow the flotation material inside to be lost. PFD's should be replaced if the cover has been torn or badly faded. Compare fabric color where it's protected, under a body strap for example,to wherethe fabric is exposed. Another simple test is to pinch the fabric between thumb and forefinger of each hand and try to tear it. If the fabric cover can be torn this way,the PFD should definately be destroyed and discarded.

You may also want to "feel" the foam. If it feels hard and brittle, the device should be replaced. If you have any doubts as to the serviceabilty of a device, we recommend wearing the device in a shallow lake or pool to test the buoyancy.

Comment

That's a good post, Harry.

John had mentioned his getting soiled. It is hard to keep them clean after so much use. But something I do after each use is to hose it down while I am hosing down the kayak. I soak the PFD thoroughly inside and out and then hang it in the garage to dry. The freshwater removes the salt and perspiration stains. I think mine is looking pretty good heading into its third year of use.
                    Mark
                    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I think that is the care recommendation from Kokatat for pfd use. Rise and let dry after every use which I also do.

Comment

Yeah, that's a good post, Harry. Many good points.

I was concerned that under an emergency situation, something on my aging PFD may fail. Even though the material looks fine, you don't know when some deteriorated thing may not work right when you need it. I will buy a new PFD.

I also hand-wash and air-dry my PFD after every trip.

I have an ICOM too, John. It's the M24 with a clip on the back side, and it fits perfectly in the Kokatat Bahia Tour PFD radio pocket. My only gripe is that, for me, it should be on the left side so it doesn't get in the way when I jig a rod with my right arm.

Hmmm...I don't like to increase the chance of tangles, but you guys gave me some ideas on what to attach on that plastic square.
                        Last edited by tufnik; 05-28-2015, 08:19 AM.

Comment

BTW, what is that black plastic square on the left side (chest level) of the Chinook PFD? I have the same thing on my PFD, but not sure what it's used for.
                          I clip a blunt dive knife there for easy/quick access if I need it.

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

I have the NRS Chinook too. I have one of the squeeze lock dive knives in a sheath attached to the bottom of my left pocket. It came with wide pan screws that allow for attachment to dive gear, and I made (burnt) 2 small holes in the bottom of the pocket so the sheath is permanently attached. It is an easy right hand grab to get my knife.

Comment

Working...
                            X