Snakehead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snakehead

I have never fish for snakehead but I wanna try it out.were can I got to catch them?whats baits do I use?also do I use a steal leader

The Tidal Potomac River. Any of the feeder creeks and bays have populations of snakeheads.

(Mattawoman, Mallows Bay, Pohick Bay, Occoquan, Leesylvania, etc.)

Top water frogs, Spinnerbaits, unweighted soft plastics will all work depending on the mood of the snakeheads that particular day. The one thing I think I have noticed with snakeheads is that they are less inclined to go pick a weighted presentation off the bottom as a largemouth bass would. They will hit lures moving horizontally above them or suspending in the water column. Bumping a jig or a texas rigged soft plastic on the bottom below them does not seem to draw as many strikes. Find pads, weeds and wood in shallow water and start looking for them there.

I have never had one bite through my line (I use a lot of 14 and 17 pound test mono down there) and I do not believe that most feel the need to use a steel leader.

Good luck! They are great eating.
    Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Last yr I switched to 10lb Nano braid after using 30 &50 lb PowerPro. All 3 lines worked well cutting thru the thick vegetation using weedless frogs. You get a fun fight using the 10lb line. I fish for them in the thickest of grass & vegetation. In open water I've caught them using spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, & spinner flies. Experiment because when they are hungry or defending the baitball they will strike anything you dont get hung up.

Comment

I find top water frogs (and mice) work best. Usually hit within a second or two after the lure hits the water. Here is a 26" 8 pound snakehead from two weeks ago.

image.jpg
        Last edited by NukeMD; 05-28-2015, 08:39 AM. Reason: Picture placement
        Dave N.
        Wilderness Systems Radar 115
        - Solar

Comment

Wake lure also work very well. Don't use mono, I use braided line (20+ lbs)

Comment

Originally posted by NukeMD View Post
            I find top water frogs (and mice) work best. Usually hit within a second or two after the lure hits the water. Here is a 26" 8 pound snakehead from two weeks ago.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15919[/ATTACH]
            nice snakehead, what kind of net is that?
            Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
            -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole
            -Orange Heritage featherlite

Comment

It's a Frabill 20 x 24 Power Stow net. I added a buoy to the outside of the net as there is no real good place to attach any floatation device. Lost a net to a snakehead before. Jumped out of the yak with my net into the abyss. Here is another pic of the fish in the yak.

image.jpg
              Last edited by NukeMD; 05-28-2015, 12:11 PM.
              Dave N.
              Wilderness Systems Radar 115
              - Solar

Comment

Working...
              X