Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you could go anywhere Memorial Day weekend...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you could go anywhere Memorial Day weekend...

It would seem the good lord has done the unthinkable and given me not only a whole weekend off (im in loss prevention and unfortunately for this angler people love stealing on the weekends), but this weekend which also gives me Monday. So I have three days in a row to camp/fish. I need to figure where I'm going.

I haven't given it a whole lot of thought as I just checked my work schedule about 15 minutes and found out. I immediately thought of hitting up OC/AI but I'm not sure of what options I have fishing wise down there this time. I've also never been so this trip might end up being a trial and error trip.

I also thought of just dishing out the extra hour and a half and driving to the OBX. It's a little more of a drive, but it's a familiar area and I could pretty much plop right down and get to fishing.

What do you all think? I don't really want to drive more than 5 hours one way so the furthest south id like to go is the OBX, and I really don't want to go further north than MD as I don't want to buy a DE license I'm only gonna use once. Any suggestions would be cool. This opportunity doesn't come often for me!

Sega
    Zack
    Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
    Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
    "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

I was going to suggest Point Lookout, but the wind forecast from Windfinder is not very promising for Sunday and Monday. I took a look at Nags Head and their wind looked much more manageable. Of course a 5 hour drive to OBX on a 3 day weekend seems like a fantasy to me - it always takes me much longer. OC looked similar to PLO - Saturday very fishable and then building winds.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Kiptopeake state park is about 4hrs. has nice camping....puts you right at the concrete ships (bottom fishing this time of year) as well as wise point launch, flounder maybe specs and bull reds if you're lucky. But OBX is a favorite so I'd ask myself what's another hour or two of driving....
      John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
      Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
      2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

I'd love to try out kiptopeke. But that will probably have to wait til next year. I don't plan on doing any VA fishing this year and already have a WV, MD, MD tidal, and DC license. Not to mention I'll be getting my NC soon lol. After checking out the oystebaytackle report it looks like they're crushing big stripers, chopper blues, and flounder out of the surf. That sounds like a good time to this guy.
        Zack
        Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
        Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
        "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

Comment

If you have a MD license you have a VA license. MD and VA are reciprocal and all you need is a FIP number. Here is the link to the website.

If you go to Assateague/OC, the blues and flounder are around, as well as some decent stripers in the inlet. If I were planning a trip I would hit the flats on the East side of the Assateague Bay (north of the Verazano Bridge) first thing in the morning for blues, flounder fish in the channel on the west side of the Assateague bay in the mid day, and return to the flats in the evening.

But if I had the whole weekend to due whatever I wanted, I'd be taking my butt south to NC to get in on the cobia and bull red bite. Flounder suck compared to them.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
          Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
          2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Working...
          X