kent narrows report 5-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kent narrows report 5-19

my son and i launched from goodhand creek around 2 pm in search of white perch . we were using crappie tubes and small twister tails . we caught one perch and over 10 small striper . i began to cast and troll a paddletail in search of bigger stripers . a couple minutes later my rod bent and the fight was on . i was yelling to my son i got something big and was getting pulled hard . i began to see flashes of the fish and was thinking what the heck is it . turned out to be a channel cat around 7-8 lbs . surprise ! trolling for catfish . an old guy and i assume his wife came scary close to running over my son with there 25+ foot power boat . we were on the ramp side of the island just inside the point and this guy came flying around 30 yds from the point ( 3 feet of water ) and i know he didnt see us until he got right beside us ( we both have bright orange flags on our yaks ) and then he had the nerve to shake his head and throw his hands up like we were in the wrong , meanwhile we were being swamped by his wake . he must own that section water i guess . anyway the perch are not there in numbers yet but i will give it another try next week and pass along the results .
    2016 Hobie Outback
    2014 Jackson Kilroy

Congrats on the catfish. I caught one there on a paddle tail last year. It surprised me too! They pull hard.

The boat traffic can be an issue at Goodhands, especially the crabbers. I keep my head up and try to give them a wide berth but sometimes it's hard when they are on a mission.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

thanks for the report!
      sigpic

Comment

Good report, I too caught a cat fish in there last year. It surprised me. I'm going to start taking numbers from boats and reporting them. Last Year Cowpokey and I got buzzed buy a huge cigarette boat several times he was probably doing 60-70mph. One time it looked like he came within 25ft of Cowpokey. I think i'm going to carry an airhorn too, in order to get their attention.
        Travis
        Dune Hobie Pro Angler 12
        Orange Old Town NEXT
        USN

Comment

Ron White said it "you can't fix stupid". The most ignored rule on the water is " you are responsible for your wake". If you want to see it at its best flounder fish in Ocean City during the summer. The channels are narrow and it's a wonder there aren't more accidents down there.

Comment

Thanks for the report. I'm glad to hear that there are fish to be caught near Goodhands. I hope to pay a visit soon.
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Thanks for the report...in regards to almost getting run over, I had a similar thing happen out at beverly triton last sunday while fishing near the main channel. I found my airhorn to be very effective in getting the guy's attention. I reccommend everyone have one tied to their life vest. While we do have the right of way, I think often times a kayak is so low on the water bigger boats just can't see us that well (or the folks driving are just jerks that don't care) Either way preventing a collision seems to be the bigger goal. If they can't see ya- they will definitely hear ya with one of these.

http://www.amazon.com/Falcon-Safety-...on+signal+horn
              John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
              Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
              2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

Working...
              X