Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bev-Triton... Tuesday 19th still no Striper dinner... but I can sing the Blues....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bev-Triton... Tuesday 19th still no Striper dinner... but I can sing the Blues....

Bev-Triton... still no Striper dinner... but I can sing the Blues....

Beautiful morning.. foggy, drizle, calm as glass... the only downside to the morning was I guess because of the rain and calm air was the no-see-ums at the launch.

Launch promptly at 7am. Met briefly the gatekeeper... "Hello, thanks, have a great day."

So I had a plan... to get to an area that had been producing... eventually got there... caught at least 12 Rockfish.. mostly in the upper teens. But figuring that is how it would go I tossed in some perch gear to the kit. Hoping that I could at least bring home some dinner, finally.

This year... only thing that has been producing for me has been shad type swimming hard baits.. aka Rappla, Storm King, what have you.
    Last week and this week finally started catching on bucktails and jigs with gulp, z-man, types.
    Caught my first Stirper on a bucktail this year today... go figure... figure... hey... it's fishin'

Well anyway... about half an hour out, in about 12 feet of water on a shad type swimming lure... I caught my first blue of the year....
    I was so stoke because I love blues, I love to eat blues.. and have caught tons of blues when I lived at the beach.
    Haven't caught many blues on the Chesapeake.. maybe this is my year !

I guess I should have stayed in the same area to try for more... but I had a plan to get to an area that had been producing well and now the limit is at 20 inches.. well.. dinner.

The picture doesn't give the fish justice... blead him/her, and scaled 'em.... picture in the shadows at the launch.
    So ! if the blues are here, I heard there's croaker showing up... spot reports ? Anything to bring home for dinner works for me !

Ahh... diner !!!!!!!!! I love me some blues (and jazz.. and country.. and just about everything else 'cept heavy metal).
    I got me a blue ! Didn't bother to perch fish... but I sure would have.... you know.. that dinner thing.

Was there a lot of bait on top the water today

Comment

Nice looking blue. That is early for them to be up in that vicinity.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by kdkilbo View Post
        Was there a lot of bait on top the water today
        No. I saw your post from yesterday... but I didn't know you were talking about top water....
        But bait fish are showing up on the sonar. It was cloudy and over cast most of the day.. which may have played a part in this action.

I stayed out until 2PM... by that time the weather had cleared up a bunch.. which was the about the same time as you were out..

But... we had all that weather overnight...

One day is often different than the other... and if I were a fish... well I could tell you all the secrets !

I enjoy your posts and good luck and tight lines !
        Last edited by rob-kayak; 05-19-2015, 05:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
          Nice looking blue. That is early for them to be up in that vicinity.
          Imagine my surprise... I was pulling in lots of fish in this area before.. a bit light today.. but well, that's fishin'

the fish almost jumped out of the water... I should have stayed in the area.. tide was right... etc etc...
          But I guess I am just not smart enough to let what is happening on the water let me guide me, as oppose to what I "think" should be.

I enjoy your posts and good luck and tight lines !
          Last edited by rob-kayak; 05-19-2015, 05:20 PM.

Comment

Nice catch. I had some huge ones jump when I was reeling them in at chsp last week, really cool to see. Love catching blues. I also think they are pretty good eating too if you take care of them the right way. Maybe I will go back over there again sometime soon for a quick trip since it is only about an hour away. I have heard off all kinds of fish caught in the vicinity in the warm months...specks, flounder, drum, and even spanish mackerel....you never know out there.

Comment

Working...
            X