Use or not to use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use or not to use

Should I use barrel swivels on my braided lines to make switching my bait easier?will the swivel mess the action up of my lure.

Tactical Angler Power Clips work well if you want a way to quickly change out a lure. I prefer a loop knot tied right to the lure, but its a preference thing. I haven't noticed any less hook ups with the TA clips and use them when I am quickly fishing an area with many different baits to see what the fish are hitting.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
    Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
    2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

I have started using Berkeley easy clip Snap swivels for the lures. It does make it easier to swap lures in the yak. I do also use barrel swivels. So my setup goes braided line to barrel swivel to fluorocarbon leader to Berkeley snap swivel to lure. Haven't had any issues thus far with this setup.

Comment

I go old school. Braided to fluorocarbon with a PR knot, then knot each lure. I ues about 15 - 20 feet of leader and nipping off the knot each time only cost me a few inches of leader. I think I will try the Power Clips though, they get great reviews and tying knots in the chop can be a pain.
        Pelican Strike 100X

Comment

I would suggest that you just learn how to tie a uni knot and also put some flouoro leaders on that braid like suggested above (but I only use about 3-4' of leader). Uni to Uni is an easy knot for tying on the fluoro...it is pretty much the only knot I use. Only time I ever use any kind of clips is on wire leaders.
          Last edited by JohnE; 05-19-2015, 05:15 PM.

Comment

I got braid to fluoro leader, about 4' of it. Then I have a power clip. I always use clips because it's really easy to switch lures quickly.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Kokatat Pro Staff
            Torqeedo Pro Staff
            Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
            Alan

Comment

kdkilbo,

Just a data point - I have heard (multiple) old timer charter captains swear that Rockfish can be swivel shy. I always just tie my lure with a 12"- 18" 20# mono/flouro leader to my 15# braid with a surgeons loop (loop through loop). It is the only rig that has never failed at the knot for me. BTW- when pulled to failure 90% of the time the 20# leader breaks. That braid is some good stuff.

T.
              Terry Hill

<*)))><{ <*)))><{

<*)))><{

<*)))><{

Santa Cruz RAPTOR

Comment

Working...
              X