anyone NOT like the new hobie seats?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone NOT like the new hobie seats?

any previous hobie owners that bought new kayaks because of the new seat actually dislike it now, maybe because of the higher center of gravity, or something else? i'm sure you all love it compared to the old style, ha.
    sigpic

I like mine a lot better compared to the old seat. No problems with the center of gravity. In the low position it is the same as the pre-2015 models. In my 2015 Revo, I didn't feel as comfortable with the seat in the high position as I thought I would, but experienced no problems in the low position. In my Outback, it doesn't matter too much if it is in the high or low position.

What I like the most is being able to adjust the seat throughout the day. I don't have a bad back, but its not the greatest. Adjusting the seat changes the angle and helps ease any pain I have when putting in a crap load of miles in one day.

What don't you like about it?

Hobie Fishing Team Member
    Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
    2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

i dont have one. something i'm considering, but just looking at action shots, seems people are sitting so much higher than before, and hobie does advertise "higher and dryer." i just have to get out on one and test it out
      sigpic

Comment

I think you'll like it. It is dryer, but it doesn't have to be any higher unless you want it to be.

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
        2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

I don't like that is sometimes make squeaky noises, but otherwise the comfort is great....it's my first hobie so I don't have the previous seat to compare to. I almost always have it in the high position (even in surf out by fisherman's island) never seems tippy or unstable even in the high setting.

Speaking of annoying noises...does anyone else have that weird nose with the hobie rudder (sounds like a spring popping) that drives me nuts sometimes....
          John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
          Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
          2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

I sold my 2011 Outback because I wanted the new Outback specifically for the seat. Since I'm on the water 8-12 hours, I need max comfort. It is much more comfortable, but after years of sitting and hurting my butt on the old Outback, I still experience some level of discomfort on the new seat. (Of course, I feel the same discomfort sitting on a good chair at the computer at work for hours). CG is no problem; I use the lowest setting on the back pegs. Yes, it's a nice dry ride, and the seat adjustability is cool even though I rarely change the setting.

Cons? It's a bit of a hassle to store/load/etc the bulky thing, but hey, I'm just whining. Sometimes when I launch the yak into rough waves the seat falls forward slowing down my jump into the yak. When I lean forward to the edge of the seat (e.g., to do my relief business), the seat tilts forward. When the seat falls back in place, it may come down on a corded tether, bait package, whatever. Sometimes I don't make sure the front part of the seat is securely placed on the horizontal bar during installation, and the seat will come off later. When I rotate my body 90 deg to get something behind me, I don't get the full freedom of motion. If I loose the seat, or it gets badly damaged whatever, I can hardly wait to pay $500 for a replacement.

Other than that, hey, it's a good seat. I'd still buy the new Outback.
            2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
            2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
            2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Originally posted by jhoss View Post
              I don't like that is sometimes make squeaky noises, but otherwise the comfort is great....it's my first hobie so I don't have the previous seat to compare to. I almost always have it in the high position (even in surf out by fisherman's island) never seems tippy or unstable even in the high setting.

Speaking of annoying noises...does anyone else have that weird nose with the hobie rudder (sounds like a spring popping) that drives me nuts sometimes....
              Yes, I get the same noise. It almost seems the rudder knob is not "tight" with the rudder. That is, there's some play. I'm thinking maybe it needs adjustment.
              2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
              2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
              2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

I also had the popping noise and play in the in the rudder. Drove me nuts. When I replaced the stock rudder with the sailing rudder the problem stopped. The play was almost completely taken out of the rudder and the noise was gone. I think the increased resistance from the larger surface area of the sailing rudder solved the problem.

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

I like the new seat with the adjustments. Great for those long days on the water. You can change the position (back rest) on the go to help stretch out every now and then. I haven't notice any height difference in the seating on the low position. Can't comment on the medium or high position, I haven't tried them out yet.

I got my mine with the sailing rudder installed when I picked it up. I haven't notice any popping noise from the steering.
                  Last edited by Goody; 05-19-2015, 04:22 PM.

Outback 2015
                  Maui

Comment

New seat is ok. I get sore butt and back now but it's nice to stand on a Outback for bass fishing. The outback is not so great for salt water when you have to deal with wind and current. This is where I want to use my old revo but I hate that wet ass feeling. I just need to win the lotto to get the 2015 Revo.

Speaking of rudder, I have the sailing rudder so I don't hear the noise but I hate the rudder steering when you push it all the way to the right and hit the handle. I always feel like I'm not getting the full turn but it probably already reached it's max.

Comment

I never had the old seat, so can't comment on that. I have spent over 200 hours sitting in the new vantage seat since last Sept. Not many complaints. I think I have experienced the vibrations or squeaks, but it does not bother me much. The only issues I have is the seat fabric tore the first day (hobie sent a replacement that I still need to pick up) and the kickstands don't seem to want to fully extend by themselves anymore to get it in the high position and I have to reach under the seat and push them back with my hands. Maybe it needs an adjustment...I plan to look at it soon. I generally always keep the seat cranked all the way down on open water, but it is really nice to crank it up in the inlets and stuff. Oh, and I definitely look forward to paying for a replacement seat (always remember to clip the little tether cord).

I have never tried the revo but would like to. I am extremely happy myself overall with how the outback performs in wind and current (with some exceptions).

Comment

I've had mine for 2 weeks after 3 years in an old revo and its amazing. I do have back problems and I also like to fish all day so this has been a great help. I like having my rear end low and the front of the seat a little higher. It gives great thigh support, makes it comfortable to recline and gives you much more power when pedaling.

Not only is the seat really really comfortable, but coupled with the new drive it makes pedaling into wind or current almost effortless. In my old revo I had the pedals fully extended (I'm 6'4") but with the new seat I actually had to move the pegs on the mirage up one from the furthest setting. I feel like I have a lot more power now because of this and I can cruise EASILY at 4 kts now instead of 3 and sustaining 5 is not out of the question. The difference is pretty incredible.
                        Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

The seat on my 2014 PA is nice, but also gives me pain on my lower back and butt 10+ hours on the water. I stand alot as well. But the gap between the back rest and bottom allows your butt to fall into that gap and creates pain.

The lumbar support only makes it worse as well.

Im not a fan of it. I like the jackson and old town seats better. Im sure the new air max pro as well .

Ive almost sold my pro angler over the discomfort from the seat
                          Zach Moore
                          Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
                          Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
                          Bait Towel Pro Staff
                          2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
                          YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

Working...
                          X