Piney Point 5/19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Piney Point 5/19

Went out for a couple of hours this morning and hit the same spot as yesterday. Got a small one and then a real bite that felt like a snag - I was sure it was a big fish. After a couple of minutes I realized it was a cow nose ray. Turned out to be the first of 3 I hooked today as a large school of them had invaded the area. Even though I was catching stripers I had to get out of that spot as the CNR were busting up my tackle. I moved to a new spot and ended up with about 10 fish, 18" being the big one. I hope the CNR's move on to a new location as I don't recall any last year at this spot.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Mike, are you going out this weekend? Thinking of Point Lookout or around Pax NAS.......
    Walt
    Heritage Angler 12'

Comment

Unfortunately I have an out of town commitment for Saturday and Sunday. Saturday looks to be the better of the days.
      Mike

Comment

Bill and I hit there Thursday in the rain- launched at 4:15 pm....had a couple of 19 inches, bunch of 17-18 inch fish and lost one really nice fish...then came the CNR's....I had one big ray that took 30 minutes to get along side my Outback...was trolling two rods and had the ray dragging me every which way, decided I had to get the second Rod in to keep from tangling the lines, had the Ray subdued along side the yak, so I put my Rod in my lap and started reeling the 2nd Rod in when the Ray suddenly just took off yanking the Rod out from between my knees....I immediately used the second Rod to try to catch the 1st Rod but instantly hooked a second ray-lost $400 bucks of Rod and reel on a 25 cent ray....moved around trying to get away from the Rays...ended up catching four...Bill got a couple as well...never had rays at Piney Point before...grrrrrr
        Last edited by ronaultmtd; 05-23-2015, 06:21 PM.
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
          Bill and I hit there Thursday in the rain- launched at 4:15 pm....had a couple of 19 inches, bunch of 17-18 inch fish and lost one really nice fish...then came the CNR's....I had one big ray that took 30 minutes to get along side my Outback...was trolling two rods and had the ray dragging me every which way, decided I had to get the second Rod in to keep from tangling the lines, had the Ray subdued along side the yak, so I put my Rod in my lap and started reeling the 2nd Rod in when the Ray suddenly just took off yanking the Rod out from between my knees....I immediately used the second Rod to try to catch the 1st Rod but instantly hooked a second ray-lost $400 bucks of Rod and reel on a 25 cent ray....moved around trying to get away from the Rays...ended up catching four...Bill got a couple as well...never had rays at Piney Point before...grrrrrr
          Man I had hoped the CNR had moved on. Didn't see one last year in this area and they need to move on. I feel your pain on the tackle loss, but I did enjoy your telling of the story
          Mike

Comment

Call the bowfishers....a bunch of 'em

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
            14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
            2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Hate it when you lose St. Croix Avid Rod and a 300 Diawa bait caster on a fifty pound cow nose ray

Comment

Good to hear your reports from down your end. Been there only twice but a great area.

Wow dude... sorry to hear about your loss of equipment.. what a bummer. I guess my time will come... so far I have been lucky and only drop my reel in the water once... I had on a really small jig and plastic... looked behind me and it was floating ! It's at least 30 years old, not expensive, but my fav.
                Hopefully that will be your last loss for a long time.

Comment

Oh man, that hurts to lose the gear.
                  Are they actually taking the lure or are they getting snagged on the wings?

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                  Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                  Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                  Kokatat Pro Staff
                  Torqeedo Pro Staff
                  Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                  Alan

Comment

They swim into the line dragging the bait up to their eye areas- the hardest part was I still was using a barbless hook bucktail that was buried next to its nostril- A left over from before the May 15th season..

Comment

ive had rays hooked in the mouth with BKD's so i would assume they are hitting the lure
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X