The Whitehall Triangle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Whitehall Triangle

Raptor and I launched at high tide this morning into Mill Creek and headed to Whitehall Bay. Finally the weather was perfect. Low winds and warm air.

We poked around Mill Creek briefly to see if the perch had arrived. They had. We both caught two in roughly the first five minutes on the water. I got mine on this lure:

K.jpg

But the quest for stripers awaited us so we headed into Whitehall Bay. We each had pretty good success. I caught six, the largest at 18.25 inches. Raptor was doing better than me for sure but after a while the action slowed.

I let out for Hackett’s Point and saw something curious in the water. See here:

C.jpg

Then I got a good look:

P1000511.JPG P1000510.JPG

This box turtle was hundreds of yards far from shore as you can see from the first photo above and swimming NW across White Hall Bay. I had read years ago that if you rescue a turtle from the roadside to always put it in a safe spot in the direction it was heading. Well, this guy was heading to Whitehall’s high-rent district of large houses all the way across the bay. There was no point in taking him back to Hackett’s Point. I decided to give him a lift.

E.jpg D.jpg

I bet he was the only box turtle in Maryland today to get a kayak ride. I pedaled NW for 8/10s of a mile before I reached a beach where I could release him.

G.jpg

I took him to a wooded area off the beach and let him go.

F.jpg

I headed back to Hackett’s and soon thereafter we received a visit from John Veil in his center console.

I.jpg

John brought me good mojo. After his visit I boated 17 more stripers from Hackett’s Point to Greenbury Points. That is essentially the area we worked today -- a triangle from Mill Creek to Hackett's Point to Greenbury Point.

None of my fish were particularly large. My biggest was 19 inches. Most were 16 to 18 inches and many were shaped like footaballs with fins. They pulled very hard.

I caught stripers on each of these lures:

J.jpg

On three occasions near Greenbury I had two on at once. I was so exhausted (15.7 total miles of pedaling today) that I essentially made my way back to Mill Creek from Greenbury without fishing.

Now Raptor stopped counting stripers after 30. He had an excellent day as he usually does. But I beat him in the turtle division today. It’s my only victory over him on the Bay this year. I need to savor it.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Glad you out turtled raptor

Comment

Congratulations on the successful catching day. You guys put in serious mileage. I think you made your own good mojo by rescuing the turtle.

I see that you used a Slam-R. I have not tried them much here in the bay. I will have to give them more time this summer.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

John,

Neil Taylor tossed me a Slam-R in Tampa when the fly rod proved ineffective. I caught lady fish and specs with it. I figured it was worth a try for stripers and it worked.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Comment

great catching report Mark.....it sounds as though the (Whitehall) Triangle was a great place to be today.
          ST

Comment

Not familar with Mills Creek. Is there public access?

Thanks,
            Steve

Comment

Great job as always...thanks for rescuing one of god's creatures!
              2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
              2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
              2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Steve,

Not quite.

There are private launches from houses along Mill Creek and the USNA has a ramp if you have access to the base.

There was talk last winter of adding a public launch in the area in concert with work the Navy is going to do restore the shoreline at Greenbury but I've heard no more about it.
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Comment

Nice work mark, a great post with lots of good info and details. I bet you're tired....thanks for rescuing the turtle too. I have a soft spot for turtles. I've stopped traffic a time or two rescuing them from pancake death.
                  John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
                  Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
                  2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

You now have given a whole new definition to turtling. I like your version better.

Comment

Mark,

It was a very good day on the water - good weather, flat water, good venue, awesome fishing, and of course great company. I went to bed at 9:30 last night and didn't wake until 08:00 this morning, I guess I was a little tired. BTW - great rescue on Mr. Turtle. I really have never seen a box turtle in the water. From the pics. he seemed quite at home - but it was a long way to shore. He must have been looking for some love . . . it is the only thing that would make a guy do such silly stuff.

T.
                      Terry Hill

<*)))><{ <*)))><{

<*)))><{

<*)))><{

Santa Cruz RAPTOR

Comment

Terry,

We've all been in that state of mind at one point.

I guess he can be forgiven.

I hope I took him to the right spot to find the turtlette of his dreams.
                        Mark
                        Pasadena, MD

Comment

awesome report and pics, thanks!
                          sigpic

Comment

Way to go!
                            Dave N.
                            Wilderness Systems Radar 115
                            - Solar

Comment

Nice job and great writeup. Looks like I'll need to start working out in order to drop in from Sandy Point or Jonas Greene :-). Thanks for the pics of the lures, what did you do atop them, snap/barrel swivels, weights, etc, anything?

NM: I got my answer looking through earlier posts on rigging. Generally see strikers getting spooked on swivels, with tons of guys just straight lining it or doing a snap swivel / tactical clip combo.
                              Last edited by Dimo; 05-29-2015, 11:39 AM.
                              -Omid

2015 ivory outback

Comment

Working...
                              X