Hobie Cart Storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hobie Cart Storage

Hobie owners, where do you store your carts at while fishing? I just purchased an Outback this past weekend and bought the Trax 2 cart. The obvious solution is to store it upside down in the scupper holes, however about 4" of the posts protrude below causing extra drag and the wheels are in prime locations for rod holders. I can probably remove the wheels and store in the front hatch which might resolve the rod holder issue, but that still doesn't fix the drag problem. Anybody come up with an ingenious solution, I really don't want to leave them behind or be forced to walk back to my vehicle or house to keep them from walking off.
    2015 Hobie Outback
    2001 Dagger Cayman

John

I bungie mine on the stern; using the rudder bungie around/over the axle and another one around the axle and hooked one each side were the tankwell bungees attach at the rear.

I don't have a picture handy at the moment.
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

Found a picture:

Hobie fleet:
      2017 Quest 13
      2015 Outback
      2014 Outback

Comment

I strap my sit on top cart to my crate.

Now I need to figure out how to effectively get my scupper cart in place when the yak is loaded...
        Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mweber02 View Post

Now I need to figure out how to effectively get my scupper cart in place when the yak is loaded...
          Yea, that's another task I have not yet mastered. I love the scupper cart setup better than my previous tie-down style when moving, but getting the boat loaded is a little more difficult.
          2015 Hobie Outback
          2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Originally posted by mweber02 View Post

I put my cart in, then load the kayak with gear. When launching or landing, just need to be in deep enough water to remove or install the cart with it still on the water...water knee deep is enough.
            Hobie fleet:
            2017 Quest 13
            2015 Outback
            2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
              I put my cart in, then load the kayak with gear. When launching or landing, just need to be in deep enough water to remove or install the cart with it still on the water...water knee deep is enough.
              that makes a lot sense. thanks for saving me some head scratching
              2015 Hobie Outback
              2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Originally posted by silasvirus82 View Post
                that makes a lot sense. thanks for saving me some head scratching
                That's why the folks on this forum are so great, there's no such thing as a bad question and everyone is very willing to offer advice to help everyone.

I used to rely on a second set of hands to install or remove the cart at the water's edge; I didn't think about asking the question and instead learned at the launch with fellow Snaggedliners.

I might be back to needing help when I get a cart with beach wheelz...we shall see.
                Hobie fleet:
                2017 Quest 13
                2015 Outback
                2014 Outback

Comment

I bought the Trax cart so I'll let you know how it goes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  2015 Hobie Outback
                  2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

To: All kayakers
                    I don't mean to offend any kayakers.

To me (150 LBer), when I return with fish, usually hauling the kayak against up-HILL on the sand, I make at least two trips.
                    I carry fish, a cooler, expensive rods/reels combo, and three-four cameras first to my truck. Then I bring back the home made cart from my vehicle.
                    I have the Hobie cart, but I never used again after the first trip.
                    The time spent before launching and bringing back a kayak to a parking lot after fishing, were nothing comparing to fishing the whole day. So my making two trips minimum means nothing to me.

I think it all depends on the drag caused by you catch, the weigh of fish and the amount of the ice in your cooler you will be carrying the whole day.

Thanks.
                    Joe
                    Last edited by ComeOnFish; 05-18-2015, 05:23 PM.
                    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
                    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
                    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post
                      To: All kayakers
                      I don't mean to offend any kayakers.

To me (150 LBer), when I return with fish, usually hauling the kayak against up-HILL on the sand, I make at least two trips.
                      I carry fish, a cooler, expensive rods/reels combo, and three-four cameras first to my truck. Then I bring back the home made cart from my vehicle.
                      I have the Hobie cart, but I never used again after the first trip.
                      The time spent before launching and bringing back a kayak to a parking lot after fishing, were nothing comparing to fishing the whole day. So my making two trips minimum means nothing to me.

I think it all depends on the drag caused by you catch, the weigh of fish and the amount of the ice in your cooler you will be carrying the whole day.

Thanks.
                      Joe
                      +1 ... and for the sand, home-made PVC cart with balloon tires!
                      2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                      2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                      2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
                        That's why the folks on this forum are so great, there's no such thing as a bad question and everyone is very willing to offer advice to help everyone.

I used to rely on a second set of hands to install or remove the cart at the water's edge; I didn't think about asking the question and instead learned at the launch with fellow Snaggedliners.

I might be back to needing help when I get a cart with beach wheelz...we shall see.

I bought the one from amazon. There is no way those tires are going underwater. I'll probably find something to replace the axle and use hard plastic wheels after hearing how you do it. The beach wheels are no good for parking lots anyway.
                        Mike

Comment

I've only used mine once, but I thought the big wheels rolled fine on any terrain. I rolled mine from my garage, down the street 50 yds, to grass for another 50 yards, and across a sandy/debris filled beach no problem. Having made that same trip numerous times with a foam tired cart and much lighter kayak, I can say the Trax was better in almost every way. The foam might get 5 stars vs the inflatables 4 stars on pavement.

2015 Hobie Outback
                          2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

I do think they will be a problem trying to submerge though

2015 Hobie Outback
                            2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Originally posted by silasvirus82 View Post
                              I do think they will be a problem trying to submerge though
                              Larger inflatable beach wheelz will be a challenge to submerge, I'm not sure if I'll be able to do it when I get cart with those. The Hobie HD wheelz are not bad.
                              Hobie fleet:
                              2017 Quest 13
                              2015 Outback
                              2014 Outback

Comment

Working...
                              X