No announcement yet.

Done with treble hooks!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VMC also makes inline hooks that are supposed to mimic the weight of the trebles they are replacing. I haven't used them yet but they get good reviews and are on my short list.
    Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk
    Chris

Pompano 120
    Pescador 10

Comment

I'm surprised that the minimal weight loss from cutting off two hooks of a treble hook makes a difference.

Comment

Instead of using an in-line hook, anyone try twisting the eye of a regular hook 90 degrees?
        2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Single hooks work great on the back, but others I tried flatten out on the body of the lure during the retrieve. As you are pulling a lure, I am really not sure you need the front hooks. A fish hits it and you pull it back out of its mouth, or through it mouth and mostly likely engage the hook.

I used single hooks at the time on in line spinners and spinner baits have always been singles and never once hear a bass fisherman say it should be a treble for lack of hookups.

This is a D Bait I made and replacing hooks on a Rattle Trap or small XRap should not be a bunch different. You may need to tune your lures with different size hooks to the best action.
          D Bait 3half Silver.jpg
          "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

treble=trouble!!!!
            Zach Bennett
            Linthicum MD
            2014 Hobie Outback
            Instagram: YakinZak
            Youtube: YakinZak
            Email: Yakinzak@gmail.com

Comment

Yep, I've moved from crankbaits to single hook spinnerbaits and jigs. I lose less fish now as well since the single hook point absorbs the full impact of a sweeping hookset.
              Olive Trophy 126 - Moored at Rocky Gorge Scott's Cove

Personal Records at Rocky Gorge
              Largemouth Bass: 21 inches
              Northern Pike: 24 inches
              Crappie: 12 inches
              Channel Catfish: 18 inches

Comment

I like the look of crank baits and their durability.

But in all honesty, they catch fewer fish for me trolling than soft plastics on jigs which out-catch the crank baits at least 3 to 1 given equal time in the water. That's over 100 stripers caught so far this year. I've caught probably 2 dozen on cranks.

I'm convinced that this is not because I switched from trebles. When I get hits on the crank baits the fish are hooked. The crank baits have consistently been getting hit less this year. I don't know why that is. Could be depth. Could be color. Could be chance. But I think after 100 plus stripers the odds would even out unless they are simply what they are now.
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
                  Instead of using an in-line hook, anyone try twisting the eye of a regular hook 90 degrees?
                  Good question, tufnik. I did it on an Eagle Claw 5/0 J-hook using a vise and pliers. The replacement should work fine. As suggested, will remove the front treble. Hope the action is still OK.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by tufnik; 05-19-2015, 05:01 PM.
                  2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                  2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                  2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Working...
                  X