Done with treble hooks!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Done with treble hooks!

I am positively done with treble hooks...what a pain to deal with and how horrible for the fish. I really struggled with a hook that managed to get all 3 hooks through his lip today and it was damn near impossible to get out. I felt horrible for the fish and felt like I was going straight to hell after the ordeal that I put that fish through. I was using an XRAP that had 2 treble hooks dangling off it. To get the hook out, I finally had to slip the hook off of the split ring and push it through the lip the rest of the way. My task tonight is cutting off all the hooks on my treble hook lures and making them single hook. I'm also clamping down the barb on them. Those treble hooks with barbs are just hellacious on the fish and downright evil.

I converted my hard plastic baits over the winter to single hooks.

Although my paddle tails on jigs have caught more fish so far this year, I've noticed no decline in hookups on the hard plastics with single hooks. In other words if a fish hits the plastic it stays buttoned up. I wish Rapala would offer their baits with single hooks. If they do, I haven't seen them in stores.

I haven't tried my top water plugs yet. I converted them to single hooks also and even took the middle hook off of them, leaving only the rear hook. I figure if a fly rod popper works with a single hook, so should a plug. We'll see if that's the case as the season progresses.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Could you link an example of the single hooks you use when you swap out the trebles? Just curious because I might try to do this with a few baits also.
      Thanks!

Comment

You're right on that, YakCap. PITA hooks. I too am starting to replace trebles with singles. It really rips up fish mouths on the C&Rs. Need to use the right split ring though. I caught a big blue on a silver spoon with a recently-attached single hook last weekend. The fish straightened out the split ring.
        2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

I didn't swap out, I literally cut 2 of the hooks off the existing treble hooks....this one had 3 treble hooks, it was triple trouble! I also mashed down the barbs.
          treblehook.jpg

Comment

Interesting. I've thought about doing away with trebles for both the fishes sake as well as my fingers and will be looking into split rings and which single hooks to use. As a side note I was reading the Potomac River fisheries rules for the summer season and they only allow 2 hooks per lure, so this lure even with it's trebles neutered would be illegal.
            Mike
            Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Originally posted by YakCapn View Post
              I didn't swap out, I literally cut 2 of the hooks off the existing treble hooks....this one had 3 treble hooks, it was triple trouble! I also mashed down the barbs.
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]15813[/ATTACH]
              There is no doubt I'd just remove that middle hook. There's no need to have that many hooks. They'll just end up in your hand, haha. The fish gets hooked in the front one most of the time anyway.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
              Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
              Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
              Kokatat Pro Staff
              Torqeedo Pro Staff
              Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
              Alan

Comment

The new and improved...
                treble3.jpg

Comment

You are right. Treble hooks, especially multiple treble hooks, are pain.

Here are what I did:
                  Depending on fish:
                  bluefish and flounder, I kept the tail hooks only. For striper, I keep single hooks on head and on tail. in addition, double hooks are easy to manage. You may cut off one hook from a treble hook for test. But to cut a hook, you need a very good wire cutter.

Depending on the lure types:
                  • Diving lures with lips - They sink based on the angles and size of the lips. So I could replace hooks without compromising depth of the lures. Sometimes, I used double hooks instead of treble hooks.
                  • Lures that sink at certain rates or are supposed to be suspended at certain depths. - Hooks are parts of the weight of the lures. For example, for specks, if I removed or cut off hooks on Mirro-lures, I changed the depths of the lures. So I am careful about removing or altering hooks on these type of lures

Joe
                  Last edited by ComeOnFish; 05-18-2015, 06:33 AM.
                  Fish like there's no tomorrow.
                  Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
                  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

I wonder if the fish-stay-on rate is the same between the unmodified and your new and improved lure, YakCap. Looks like a good option versus the replace-with-single hook option.

Yeah, I wonder about the action too, Joe. I guess trial and error will let us know if the mod is worth it.
                    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

I've gotta believe my rate will be affected and I'll probably lose more at the boat when the fish jumps, but it's better than what I experienced today ripping up that fishes mouth. Those treble hooks with barbs are like Lester Hayes and bucket of stickum, anything gets close and its attached.

Comment

I used Owner "inline" hooks Model No. 4101-121X in sizes 2/0 and 1/0 on this X Rap.

B.jpg

I've caught a number of stripers on it and another X-Rap in black and silver this year at Ft. Smallwood and in the Severn. I tied the marabou feathers on the back hook.

I used the same hooks on 1/2 oz. Rat-L-Traps (without feathers) and also caught stripers this year at Ft. Smallwood.

I noticed no visual difference in the action of either lure as I dragged it beside my kayak nor have they felt different to me through the rod.

However, as I mentioned earlier, I have caught more stripers trolling paddletails than the crank baits this year. On most of my outings I have trolled two rods, one with a soft plastic and the other with a crank bait.
                        Mark
                        Pasadena, MD

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                          I used Owner "inline" hooks Model No. 4101-121X in sizes 2/0 and 1/0 on this X Rap.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15827[/ATTACH]

I've caught a number of stripers on it and another X-Rap in black and silver this year at Ft. Smallwood and in the Severn. I tied the marabou feathers on the back hook.

I used the same hooks on 1/2 oz. Rat-L-Traps (without feathers) and also caught stripers this year at Ft. Smallwood.

I noticed no visual difference in the action of either lure as I dragged it beside my kayak nor have they felt different to me through the rod.

However, as I mentioned earlier, I have caught more stripers trolling paddletails than the crank baits this year. On most of my outings I have trolled two rods, one with a soft plastic and the other with a crank bait.
                          What size xrap is that for the 2/0 and 1/0 hook? I assume the larger hook is in the back?

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

Originally posted by YakCapn View Post
                            I am positively done with treble hooks...what a pain to deal with and how horrible for the fish. I really struggled with a hook that managed to get all 3 hooks through his lip today and it was damn near impossible to get out. I felt horrible for the fish and felt like I was going straight to hell after the ordeal that I put that fish through. I was using an XRAP that had 2 treble hooks dangling off it. To get the hook out, I finally had to slip the hook off of the split ring and push it through the lip the rest of the way. My task tonight is cutting off all the hooks on my treble hook lures and making them single hook. I'm also clamping down the barb on them. Those treble hooks with barbs are just hellacious on the fish and downright evil.
                            Something to be aware of.......... posts like this will be used against us all when the anti's start targeting recreational fishing. It is easy to see your frustration with the trebles, and your concern to make fishing more enjoyable. "They" won't see it that way. As a bowhunter who has "been there, done that", I give food for thought.

Comment

reel-em-in,

That's a 4 inch (1/2 oz.) X-Rap.

The larger hook is on the front.

I use the same size and hook placement on 1/2 oz. Rat-L-Traps.
                              Mark
                              Pasadena, MD

Comment

Working...
                              X