The first trip to Wise Point for flounder - May 16, 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joe,

They are talking about the island in front by the bridge. It's shallow and the waves get rough there. What the ranger told us was Skidmore, where I was in the flats but I didn't go all the way because I was tired. Smith island is the other one but it's further east. Those 2 paddlers we saw cutting through the marsh, they were probably coming back from there.

Comment

I was going to Chincoteague/Gargathy for a 2-day trip this weekend. Hmmm.... is redfish and trout the hot bite at Wise now?

Looks like a good pricey rod, gloomis gl3, but it doesn't have a long handle.

Are you talking about the main island north of the bridge, Dave? Or the island east of the bridge and across from the launch?
      Last edited by tufnik; 05-19-2015, 09:18 AM.
      2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Long handles are good when you do the pilling jigging using 1 arm to paddle and 1 to hook. Short handle makes it easier to cast. The CBBT combo I go with is simple. Trevala S for the Togs, Sheeps, any jigging at the piling since short rod with long handle is perfect for it. The Gloomis is for flounder and anything else that takes that bucktail or if I want to cast a lure for something I see swimming the surface. Since I want to try for Cobia, I'm not sure if that rod can handle it. May have to bring a broom stick.

On the Gloomis or any bass rod, you can always wait for Tackle Warehouse to do a 15 or 20% sale on holidays. Memorial should have one. You may have to call them to get them to apply it because they can't advertise it for certain brands.

Puppy drums were hard to find while we were there. People are chasing Bull Reds at the Fisherman Island (The one by the bridge in front). Smith Island is towards the ocean in the east. Skidmore is the one north when you turn left at the ramp and go up the channel. You can troll the sand flats between skidmore and that marsh island. I caught a small flounder trolling the 8ft channel there while waiting for the tide to change. If you want flounder, stick to the inlet or eastern shore side. CBBT will need probably till mid June to get quality numbers to make the trip successful. No one wants the 4 hour drive of shame.

I rather just wait for fall to try my luck at CBBT for Bull Reds again. I know they hang there because every year I snag them trying for flounder but my knots failed. This time I'm bringing 60lb mono leader.
        Last edited by HokieDJ; 05-19-2015, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HokieDJ View Post
          Long handles are good when you do the pilling jigging using 1 arm to paddle and 1 to hook. Short handle makes it easier to cast. The CBBT combo I go with is simple. Trevala S for the Togs, Sheeps, any jigging at the piling since short rod with long handle is perfect for it. The Gloomis is for flounder and anything else that takes that bucktail or if I want to cast a lure for something I see swimming the surface. Since I want to try for Cobia, I'm not sure if that rod can handle it. May have to bring a broom stick.

On the Gloomis or any bass rod, you can always wait for Tackle Warehouse to do a 15 or 20% sale on holidays. Memorial should have one. You may have to call them to get them to apply it because they can't advertise it for certain brands.

Puppy drums were hard to find while we were there. People are chasing Bull Reds at the Fisherman Island (The one by the bridge in front). Smith Island is towards the ocean in the east. Skidmore is the one north when you turn left at the ramp and go up the channel. You can troll the sand flats between skidmore and that marsh island. I caught a small flounder trolling the 8ft channel there while waiting for the tide to change. If you want flounder, stick to the inlet or eastern shore side. CBBT will need probably till mid June to get quality numbers to make the trip successful. No one wants the 4 hour drive of shame.

I rather just wait for fall to try my luck at CBBT for Bull Reds again. I know they hang there because every year I snag them trying for flounder but my knots failed. This time I'm bringing 60lb mono leader.
          That's how I'm thinking of using a long-handle rod like the Trevala S (for jigging and and togs at CBBT). I have a long-handle musky rod for hanging heavier rigs, but it's too heavy.

I'm not really after bull reds right now. Puppy drums and flounder, yes. So, am not sure it's worth it for me to fish Wise Pt this weekend when I can go elsewhere for flounder. What are you hearing about Rudee?

Comment

Thanks for the great video. I've never caught flounder before and would like to try it someday.
            Donnie

2012 Malibu Steath 14
            2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Rudee has flounder and some puppy reports but if you want flounder, Wise is better. I've caught a lot there compared to rudee at this time of the year. I would of gone again and tried some new trolling rigs during the slack if I wasn't going away for the holiday. The current does suck though when it kicks. Stay on the marsh side when going against it because it's not as bad as the dock side.

The only thing going against Wise is the cost of crossing the CBBT.

Comment

The reason I changed my plan from CBBT (Flounder and possible cobia - This year, I am into cobia until October) to First Island is because someone offered help. I want to do my best to show my gratitude to the person offered. Also I like to meet someone who offers help through forums. They are my type of people, quality people.

I may be skunked. Though fishing with quality people is priceless to me.

Joe
                Fish like there's no tomorrow.
                Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
                https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

I don't think they will let you film it though. they are a bunch of secretive people down there

Comment

Originally posted by HokieDJ View Post
                    I don't think they will let you film it though. they are a bunch of secretive people down there
                    Like you and me there are many anglers share the info. We didn't know this weekend is the memorial day weekend with family gatherings. So he sent me the map with his spots in case he can't make it. So now I am really obligated to fish his spots even though he doesn't make it.

Joe
                    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post
                      Like you and me there are many anglers share the info. We didn't know this weekend is the memorial day weekend with family gatherings. So he sent me the map with his spots in case he can't make it. So now I am really obligated to fish his spots even though he doesn't make it.

Joe
                      Good luck! I'm going to try Chincoteague this weekend.

Comment

Efrin,
                        Have a good productive trip.

I have zero plans this weekend except working on Monday when none is on the system.
                        But when my wife found out that I made a guy coming fishing with me, she (forcefully) asked me to call it off so that he can spend time with his family. I leave my laptop unlocked all the time so she can see what I am up to. Hmm... I may change that... NOT.

Come to think of it, I agree with her. Not all of us are like me and my wife, an old couple with empty nest, she does her stuff and I do my stuff one day a week. Still one day a week for me, not like two days a week which Efrin enjoys.

So I am setting the guy free.
                        I am going to come up with a new plan.

Joe

Comment

Working...
                        X