The first trip to Wise Point for flounder - May 16, 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The first trip to Wise Point for flounder - May 16, 2015

HokieDJ and I fished mainly in the channel for flounder. It was my first trip to Wise Point boat ramp in Eastern Shore, VA.
    I am planning to fish few more times for Bull Red, puppy drum and Speckled trout here in the future.

We learned that the incoming and outgoing currents in the 2 mile long channel at the boat ramp was very strong. I saw many regular paddlers were taking breaks when they paddled against the current. It seemed that it may be almost impossible for regular paddlers to fish for flounder in the channel, if they use lures. We were on Hobie so we could move against the current and the wind.

I hooked 11 flounder but landed only 5 (19.5", 16.5", 16", and two small ones). I couldn't land 6 flounders in a row somehow. 3 of them got away while I was preparing cameras for video. We caught them in 10' of water.

Fishing log:
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Good job on flatties. I was thinking about going to Wise, but I wanted to try CHSP one more time for blues before going back to VB. Got skunked.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Nice job, how heavy was your jig to work that strong current?
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by Shady View Post
        Nice job, how heavy was your jig to work that strong current?
        Thanks for the question. I forgot to mention about that.
        I started with 1 OZ buck-tail. Then I switched to 2 OZ in 10' of water. The current was no joke. Besides, we dealt with 12-15MPH wind. HokieDJ started with 1.5 OZ. He might used 2 OZ later.

joe
        Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

Man that deep fried flounder was tasty tonight! I'm going back for more in June.

I started with 1.5 in the morning then switched to 2.0 later when I lost the 1.5, got lazy and used a pre rigged 2.0. I did notice that I caught all my fishes on the bucktail when using 1.5 and then all the rest on the teaser when I switched to 2.0.

2 keepers and a bunch of shorties. Did lose what felt like was a good one later in the afternoon when my FF decided it wanted to work again and I could see the depth changes.

Joe was the flounder pounder today though. 2 guys in a small boat took his spot as soon as Joe hooked up. I was cracking up.

I also learned that the outback sucks in the wind. I was being blown all over unlike my revo.

Comment

Good report fellas let me know if you can use some company in June. Would love to try new waters and go after my first keeper flounder.

Comment

Originally posted by daolai View Post
              Good report fellas let me know if you can use some company in June. Would love to try new waters and go after my first keeper flounder.
              I usually post my destinations on Thursday or early Friday morning. We will learn more about the species around Wise Point. My problem now is I don't know my tackles will be for many different species (size of the fish, bait/lure types). I will be keeping 4 rod/reel combos in my truck. One will be for flounder - thinner line and lighter rod. Last Saturday, I used a rod/reel combo for tog - I think that was why I couldn't land many flounder.

Joe

Comment

The most of my flounder were on the 2 OZ white bucktail. two small flounder were on the teaser (5" white or Chartreuse Gulp on size 5/0 hook.

Joe

Comment

Hey that's my secret spot!....well I guess now everyone knows about it. It's a great location for flounder this time of year. Later in the fall puppy drum can be found along the edges of the ditch there and in the creeks. I was there the weekend before last hoping to tangle with a bull red. Got skunked on that front. Came across a HUGE black mass of stripers in front of fisherman's island in the surf. Got a few casts off but couldn't get any takers before they disappeared. I ended up with some really sore legs and just a few bluefish for my efforts. Yeah, on the right day that place can be a goldmine, but be prepared to work for it otherwise.

Thanks for the report Joe.
                  John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
                  Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
                  2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

Joe,
                    Is that the Tescata or Trevala S? Med-heavy? How do you like it for flounder jigging?

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
                      Joe,
                      Is that the Tescata or Trevala S? Med-heavy? How do you like it for flounder jigging?
                      Tescata. It is OK in CBBT in deep water. But not in 10' of water. It is too stiff.

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post
                        Tescata. It is OK in CBBT in deep water. But not in 10' of water. It is too stiff.

Joe
                        Maybe the Tescata medium-light would be better for you in shallow water. I'm interested in a rod that is light for all day jigging, able to handle bull reds, and has a long handle. Is your Tescata lighter than the Trevala S?

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
                          Maybe the Tescata medium-light would be better for you in shallow water. I'm interested in a rod that is light for all day jigging, able to handle bull reds, and has a long handle. Is your Tescata lighter than the Trevala S?
                          It is lighter than Trevala S. Mine is MH. This one feels like Medium light IM6-7 rods, very light. It is a little too flexible for Togging when setting the hook. But from spot to bull red in CBBT and CHSP, this is the rod. One summer I carried this rod only for flounder, triggerfish, tog in CHSP

I can do flounder fishing all day with this rod. Also, I can cast better with this rod. If I carry only one rod, this is the rod.

I think I shouldn't make the excuse for not landing six flounders in a row. After all this rod hooked fish. It was me who couldn't land.

I am heading for CBBT this coming Sat. Feel this rod before you order one.

Joe
                          Last edited by ComeOnFish; 05-18-2015, 10:34 PM.

Comment

Get a good medium heavy bass rod. It can do all day floundering and bull reds.

I have the gloomis gl3

Comment

I am getting some help from TKAA Saltwater Report forum for drum fishing. It seems this weekend will be the last shot at drums. So I will be heading for Wise Point. I will be bringing Tescata and my new cobia rod/reel. And definitely, I will be using ST fins not Turbo fins. The shoals are very shallow. I may fish for flounder if I have time after the drum fishing

Joe

Comment

Working...
                              X