What mod's are on your kayak??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What mod's are on your kayak??

So today me and my dad just picked up 2 new Feelfree Lure's 11.5. I've thought of a couple basic mod's (rod holders, GoPro mounts, and a few other things). What kayak mod's do you guys have/recommend/ or have seen before?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The best mod at the moment (aside from the required safety items) is your butt in the seat on productive water with a fishing rod on-board, preferably in a rod holder of some kind.

Fish like that for a few outings until you determine what extras will enhance your personal fishing experience. And truthfully, you will never stop rigging or modifying your boat as your need dictates. That's part of the fun of the hobby.

Congratulations on your new kayaks!
    Last edited by Mark; 05-17-2015, 08:06 AM.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Mark offers good advice. Make sure you have the bare necessities for legality and safety (PFD, noisemaker, light source if using in the dark, paddle, fishing rod and a few lures). Use the kayak for a few trips to get the feel of how it performs and where you want to reach to get to storage or accessories. Then you can begin adding things to make your fishing, navigation, and photography more enjoyable and easy.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I am envious of those nice and comfy looking seats !

Something you might not consider, until you have been out in some choppy waves... is a nice big sponge.

Many use the kind you get at the auto parts store.

Comment

They are nice. I just wish the backs were a little taller. And yea that's not a bad idea

Comment

so here's the first mod so far. Got my GoPro all hooked up. Next thing is a rod holder, it's a must need for these things! Has anybody found any other mod's that they've liked a bunch? Just wondering everybody's opinion!?

Comment

Such a personal question....it really all depends on what you are fishing for and how you fish. I wouldn't rush to mod anything before getting out and fishing your boat. After a few trips you'll know just what you need and more importantly WHERE you need it to go. I'd consider an anchor trolley.....
              John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
              Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
              2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by jhoss View Post
                After a few trips you'll know just what you need and more importantly WHERE you need it to go.
                Yep...concentrate first on catching fish. That will dictate what you need and where to put it.
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

The only thing I've "installed" on mine is an extra 1" thick foam pad on the seat bottom. You know, those pads they sell for hunters to sit on in the woods to help soften/insulate the seating surface. I figured an extra amount of padding would help my butt on longer times on the water. I also tied a rope to it. That way if I get out I can hold the rope or tie it to a shoreline tree in case I have business that forces me out of the kayak and into the bushes.

I recently bought a Lowrance combo depthfinder/GPS unit for it, but haven't installed it yet. I plan to "explore" some local rivers/streams and I want to know how far I am from the truck. I want to know if I have time to fish a good spot again, or if I need to paddle for the truck before it gets dark.

Comment

It looks like you can probably stand in that yak pretty comfortably. A rope from the front handle might help in standing up smoothly if you plan to do so.

+1 on the anchor trolley if you plan on anchoring as well. It makes a big difference keeping the yak facing the right direction when the wind is blowing or a light current wants to turn you.
                    Mike

Comment

What mod's are on your kayak??

Originally posted by mweber02 View Post
                      It looks like you can probably stand in that yak pretty comfortably. A rope from the front handle might help in standing up smoothly if you plan to do so.

+1 on the anchor trolley if you plan on anchoring as well. It makes a big difference keeping the yak facing the right direction when the wind is blowing or a light current wants to turn you.
                      It actually already comes with a handle/cord to help you stand up, and yes they are very stable! I've not really had the need to anchor up yet, although I'm wanted to try and catfish out of it. So I might be looking into and anchoring system!

Comment

20150521_202543_resized.jpg

Here's my Hurricane Skimmer 128.

It has Fish finder mounted using a Talon systems mount.
                        Navigational lights.
                        White LED lights in seat well.
                        Anchor trolley
                        Rod holders in tracks on both sides.
                        I have a Scotty mount on aft , with a white anchor light but the light isn't shown here.
                        Milk crate with rod holders.
                        Paddle clip.
                        Hurricane Skimmer 128
                        WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Yikes I hope you didn't use the yellow circular saw for ur mods. Good job btw
                          Donnie

2012 Malibu Steath 14
                          2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Originally posted by Donsail68 View Post
                            Yikes I hope you didn't use the yellow circular saw for ur mods. Good job btw
                            I had to cut out a storage compartment somehow lol

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin View Post
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]15922[/ATTACH]

Here's my Hurricane Skimmer 128.

It has Fish finder mounted using a Talon systems mount.
                              Navigational lights.
                              White LED lights in seat well.
                              Anchor trolley
                              Rod holders in tracks on both sides.
                              I have a Scotty mount on aft , with a white anchor light but the light isn't shown here.
                              Milk crate with rod holders.
                              Paddle clip.
                              Question about the seat on your hurricane. Does the back of the seat attach directly to the kayak? If so how? I'm trying to retro fit one to my kayak.

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

Working...
                              X