Severn River 5/16 - Caught a Keeper!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Severn River 5/16 - Caught a Keeper!

I've been going to Jonas Green park for the last three weekends. Today I arrived around 10:30 and fished until about 2:50. All three weekends I caught three fish for a total of 9. Each fish was about 17 inches except for the last one today. The last one I caught today was a 28 incher! I was so excited i was practically shaking.

I've been using 3/4 oz bucktails with 5" shad assassins. I troll one chartreuse and one white. Here's a pick of today's catch.

20150516_171200.jpg

- Yakalong ( 12' Perception Sport)

Nice catch, note that today the keeper minimum size changed to 20". However, still only the main bay is open to catch and keep. Many rivers, including the Severn are catch and release until June 1.
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

I fished "the Severn" today in the keeper zone which is a triangle shape east of the two lines from Tolly Point to Greenbury Point and from Greenbury Point to Hackett's point. This area is officially the Chesapeake Bay.

I caught MANY small fish but none keeper size.

Comment

Please be aware of harvesting zones and their start/end dates. But other than that. Nice fish!
        Zach Bennett
        Linthicum MD
        2014 Hobie Outback
        Instagram: YakinZak
        Youtube: YakinZak
        Email: Yakinzak@gmail.com

Comment

I was fishing out by the navy boats where you see the radio towers. I think that area is ok, but to be honest I wasn't aware of the up river restricin either. I read the regs and it seemed that the restrictions were all north of baltimore. The severn and south rivers weren't even mentioned in the regs. Where is the best place to find details on them? I don't want to keep anything I'm not supposed to. I'm just as concerned about the preservation of fish as the next person.

Comment

Here is the map for the current portion of the season http://dnr2.maryland.gov/fisheries/Pages/map4.aspx
            Ryan
            Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

... or better yet, go to the follow link that shows all 6 of the striper boundary maps in sequence beginning on January 1. You can click on each new map in the series for reference showing how the season and boundaries change through the year. Be sure to bookmark this link for future reference.

All other years the list of striper maps was easy to find in the DNR Fisheries site. This year not so much, took me several minutes of hunting around before I finally found the maps.

http://dnr2.maryland.gov/fisheries/P...bass-maps.aspx

==========================

Bass Assassins are my favorite soft plastics too. The 4" paddletail, chartreuse silver glitter, is my goto size and color. But then I'm not a troller, only a caster. This lure may be too small to troll. Other second order goto colors are albino, opening night and crystal shad.
              Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Working...
              X