Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introduction and request for hand held VHF recommendations

Hello Everyone,

I am new to kayak fishing this season. I went kayak fishing last year during a vacation with my son and developed the addiction. This site has been very helpful in learning what to do to prepare to be on the water and when on the water. I bought my first kayak, a Wilderness Tarpon 120 after seeing Dkwon’s post about the rental place in DC selling their used fleet. I bought my fish finder after seeing Jhoss’s post about the good sale on the Elite 4 CHIRP at West Marine, and I bought my roof top carrier from Dtandrade. Oh and I almost forgot, I met Medicyaker at BPP and he helped lighten my wallet with a bunch of gear to get me out fishing.

I have been out a few times this year including CHSP last weekend. I would not have known about the great bluefish run without this site and I recognized a few of you from the photos out on the water, even through the fog. Now I am looking for some more help. I have always gone out with another kayaker when fishing so far but expect that I will be making some solo trips this summer and want to have a hand held VHF for safety. I grew up racing sailboats out of Annapolis and worked for a predecessor of West Marine through high-school and college so I am very familiar with boats and marine electronics. However, it seems there are, in many cases certain brands of products that a better suited for use in a kayak than others. It is usually some small thing, such as is there a lanyard loop, which makes the product well suited for kayaks. Can I get some advice on what hand held VHFs folks would recommend and why?

Thanks and I hope to continue to meet you all out on the water.

Jack
    Red Wilderness Tarpon 120
    2014 Papaya Hobie Outback

Jack,

I have a Standard Horizon. It's waterproof, floats and has a spring clip so that I can attach it to my PFD. Those were the most important criteria for me aside from its strong reception and transmission.

You mentioned having it for safety during solo trips and that certainly is a major consideration. But you also will find it useful to stay in touch with your fellow kayakers during outings when you are with others.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I have a Standard Horizon HX-280; doesn't float, but has a larger battery for a longer run time. The clip on the back attaches to my PFD and has a hole that a tether can be attached to...which I have done with some 550 cord and a carabiner.
      Hobie fleet:
      2017 Quest 13
      2015 Outback
      2014 Outback

Comment

Working...
      X