FF question? Hobie Outback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FF question? Hobie Outback

Hey guys, I am rigging out the new outback. I got the Lowrance 4 - Chirp as a gift for my birthday. I remember seeing a Ram mount that was made for Lowrance. Does anyone have info on this mount. And if money isn't an issue, should I just get the Hobie battery kit? I like how simple it looks.

I don't know if this is the cheapest price but I think this is what you are referring to.

http://www.austinkayak.com/products/...shfinders.html

I used this to mount my Elite 4 CHIRP on my Wilderness Tarpon 120 this season and it is working great. I did find that the first time you try to open the mounting latch on the Elite 4 it can be a bit sticky.
    Red Wilderness Tarpon 120
    2014 Papaya Hobie Outback

Comment

I have the Ram mount. I like the fact that it has a small footprint on the gunnel and has a special attachment that connects directly to the Lowrance unit. See below:

B2.jpg

I purchased the battery kit. It was helpful to me even though I did not use all the pieces. It included a battery, battery charger, through-the-hull wiring nodes, various electrical fittings, zip ties, a fuse and several foam rubber forms to hold the transducer and battery in the hull. I did not use the foam forms. I secured the transducer to the hull with duct putty and bought separately a Hobie battery holder that fits in the hatch.

P1000258.jpg

I really like that system to hold the battery. It keeps it off the floor, dry and easy to access. Sometimes I charge the battery inside my kayak and other times I take it out.

The duct putty for the transducer has worked well also.

D.jpg

I do not know the quality or strength (Amps) of the battery. It ran my Elite 5 HDI for about 9 hours on Wednesday before running out of juice. That's the longest I've used it between charges. Most of my outings are 4 or 5 hours and it has never stopped at anytime during those trips.

So even though I did not use the foam forms that came with the kit, I thought it was a good value and certainly added convenience to my installation by having most of what I needed.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

That was one of the best answers I have seen on this forum. It was enough for me to pull the trigger. see you guys on the water. Thanks

Comment

I have both the battery tray (mounted to the sailing mast inside the front hatch) and the RAM mount, with the ball in my port side cup holder. After a full year of fishing, I recommend both.

Edit add: I just went back and noticed you have a 2015 Outback, so you have the transducer pocket also, that is a great way to mount your transducer so it gets a good reading and accurate temperature...just do your best to have it level with the plate and 1/8" to 1/4" gap between the bottom of the transducer and the plate.
          Last edited by Cowpokey; 05-15-2015, 09:55 PM.
          Hobie fleet:
          2017 Quest 13
          2015 Outback
          2014 Outback

Comment

What went into your decision for mounting in front hatch versus rear. I knew of both options, but couldnt think of pros or cons of one over the other. Your input holds a lot of weight for me, I have read most of those 2000 posts of yours haha Thanks guys.

Comment

I believe you're addressing Cowpokey with your hatch question but I'll give you my rationale for using the back hatch for the battery. Deck space is a premium in my Revo. I wanted to keep the front hatch (near my seat) open for my storage bucket. I had to purchase extra wire to run the Lowrance's power cord to the back hatch.

I didn't want to use the sailing mast as a mount because I was concerned about the weight of the battery on the mast and the stresses that may occur on the mast holder in wavy conditions with the weight of the battery on it -- however I have heard of no complaints or problems with that mounting. Just me being overly cautious. I'm glad it has worked well for others and that is a convenient place for the battery.

Secondly, I mounted my FF on the right gunnel for two reasons. I'm right-handed and have better dexterity to manipulate the screens with my right hand. But the most important reason for putting it there is that I cast mostly to the left of the bow. I keep the left gunnel clear of everything that may get in the way of my rod and line. That's especially important when I fly fish in the Revo and have line sprawling over the left side of the boat and onto the deck.
              Last edited by Mark; 05-16-2015, 06:20 AM.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by yakPHISHn View Post
                What went into your decision for mounting in front hatch versus rear. I knew of both options, but couldnt think of pros or cons of one over the other. Your input holds a lot of weight for me, I have read most of those 2000 posts of yours haha Thanks guys.
                HA!

The only downside I've found to putting it on the sailing mast inside the front hatch is that the hatch liner hits it, so it doesn't sit quite right. That's also why I've never used the hatch liner. Easy fix for that would be to splice on a longer power wire and put the battery tray in the back hatch...I "may" do that when I get the new Outback.
                Hobie fleet:
                2017 Quest 13
                2015 Outback
                2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                  Secondly, I mounted my FF on the right gunnel for two reasons. I'm right-handed and have better dexterity to manipulate the screens with my right hand. But the most important reason for putting it there is that I cast mostly to the left of the bow. I keep the left gunnel clear of everything that may get in the way of my rod and line. That's especially important when I fly fish in the Revo and have line sprawling over the left side of the boat and onto the deck.
                  I put mine on the left, directly in front of the rudder control, because my left hand is already going to be there anyway, and it keeps my right hand free for eating a sammich. LOL

I am very ambidextrous though also, so it really doesn't matter for me. It will be interesting to hear what Cowkid2 says about it when she takes the current Outback over...she is more left handed than right, but also ambidextrous.
                  Hobie fleet:
                  2017 Quest 13
                  2015 Outback
                  2014 Outback

Comment

I second this. Battery in back. I put my 11AHr inside one of the Tupperware Hatch tubs that I "modified" to remove the inner dividers. I otherwise would not use the back hatch for anything so it gives better weight balance and the battery is pretty secure.
                    FF is mounted on Starboard gunnel on RAM mount. I also have my transducer mounted to the RAM mount too so it all goes on in one mount.
                    I agree with Mark that I mostly like to fish off port side of yak so it makes it easier.

Comment

Working...
                    X