Hobie outback no drill rod holders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hobie outback no drill rod holders

So after getting my new Hobie my first (and likely only) disappointment was the shallow depth of the molded in rod holders.

As you can see these aren't designed for trolling use. I could also see a rod just bouncing out if the conditions are rough. I thought about drilling and adding some flush mount Scotty holders, but I tend to dislike drilling. My first solution is a CPVC extension. Made from 10 inches of 1 1/4 diameter pipe

I added a hair tie to the pipe in 2 locations, wrapped it in some electrical tape and it is very snug fit.

The next problem is my gopro stick is a targus monopod, it has a Scotty post base

So I did need a Scotty base. After some tinkering I figured out another no drill solution. I started with a Scotty t-track base

I heated up a piece of the CPVC to get it to be slightly flexible.

After which the t-track could be wiggled into the pipe opening. After the CPVC cooled off it actually shrunk a little to make a super tight fit

I added the same hair tie and electrical tape where it inserts into the base to insure a nice snug fit. I also added a few small flush stainless steel screws. VoilĂ ! It works great. Maybe not what you'd use for rod holders in heavy trolling but for my purposes a fine solution.

And my final new favorite rod holder for trolling is actually no holder at all, just a little trick I figured out to tuck my rods in under the carry handle on the Hobie.

Works on either side of the yak. Less sometimes is more...
    John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
    Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
    2015 Hobie Outback

That is a pretty cool idea. I was all about not drilling into my outback at first. But after the cutting it up for the rectangular hatch, I ended up adding gear tracs in the back. About to drill more today to add an anchor trolley and scotty 244s in the front for extended rod holders so I can see my rod tips when trolling. Also need to drill another hole for my lowrance wires. It was already so much nicer with my current mods, can't wait til I can get out and try today's mods.

Comment

Those are clever approaches to make functional accessories without drilling holes. Congratulations.

Regarding using the carrying handles for trolling rods, I have gone even more primitive. On occasion, I have trolled one or two rods by wedging them under my legs and feet. It is not a good approach for large fish, but it does get the lures out to the side. I have caught perch and small rockfish that way.

"If there is a will, there is a way"
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Nice work with the PVC mods. Thanks for the ideas.

Comment

Do a search for "rocket launcher" and you will see more PVC rod holder ideas that work well for setting up a trolling solution, that also does not put holes in you hull.
          Hobie fleet:
          2017 Quest 13
          2015 Outback
          2014 Outback

Comment

Yep, I've used the "leg tuck" rod holder a bunch when first fishing with my paddle yak. I always liked it because you feel even the slightest bump or vibration with your leg. So you don't even need to look at your rod tips...

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
            Those are clever approaches to make functional accessories without drilling holes. Congratulations.

Regarding using the carrying handles for trolling rods, I have gone even more primitive. On occasion, I have trolled one or two rods by wedging them under my legs and feet. It is not a good approach for large fish, but it does get the lures out to the side. I have caught perch and small rockfish that way.

"If there is a will, there is a way"
            John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
            Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
            2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

Working...
            X