Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help, Please: Mayo Beach Park Public Open Day THIS Sunday May 17 2015 11 am to 6 pm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help, Please: Mayo Beach Park Public Open Day THIS Sunday May 17 2015 11 am to 6 pm

Hello,

Please help us with the first Public Open Day of 2015 at Mayo Beach Park south of Annapolis by coming to the Open Day THIS Sunday May 17 11 am to 6 pm and telling your family and friends about it. This event is FREE and open to the general public. This county-owned public park is sadly only rarely open to the general public. We want this public park open to the general public that owns it!

Please spread the word. There was an unpublicized Public Open Day a couple of years ago and no one knew about it so very few people came. People who oppose opening Mayo Beach to the public are pointing at that low attendance/no publicity open day and saying that there is no demand for public access at Mayo Beach. A-hem.

You can put your yak in the water right at Mayo Beach. If you're getting an early start out of Beverly-Triton, Mayo Beach Park is less than a mile away by water. You can land at Mayo Beach and have lunch. If you're not fishing, the sandy beaches at Mayo Beach are a great place to take your kids and grandkids.

More info and directions below.

Facebook Event link: https://www.facebook.com/events/771969296254711/

Thank you,

Lisa

DSCF3088.JPG

========================

Enjoy *your* beautiful beach at Mayo Beach Park south of Annapolis THIS Sunday May 17 2015 11 am - 6 pm during the first Public Open Day of 2015! This event is FREE and open to the public. Bring your kids and your grandkids and a picnic and have a great day at the beach without having to cross the Bay Bridge.

This county-owned public park is sadly only rarely open to the general public. Mayo Beach has wide sand beaches, a bath house, a playground, a softball field, parking for hundreds of cars and a pavilion that is usually rented out for weddings. Bring your canoe, kayak or stand-up paddleboard and launch from the beach. Bring your binoculars and find the birds that live in the huge tidal pond behind the park. Enjoy YOUR public park.

http://www.aacounty.org/RecParks/par...each/index.cfm

Directions: Take Route 2 south of Annapolis. Cross the South River. Turn left/east on Central Avenue/MD214. Make a left at Lou's Stop Shop onto Shoreham Beach Road. *If you miss this left turn you will miss the park.* Make a left at the next Y intersection. Follow the small Mayo Beach Park signs to the park entrance and go up the road to the pavilion.

Lisa,
    Thank you for ALL of the hard work you put into this and the other sites you have made available to kayakers. I hope you get a large turnout; unfortunately I won't be in town Sunday.

Yours in Solidarity!

Kitkat
    2015 Outback
    2016 Outback LE

GO PATRIOTS !!!

Comment

Originally posted by kitkatyaker View Post
      Lisa,
      Thank you for ALL of the hard work you put into this and the other sites you have made available to kayakers. I hope you get a large turnout; unfortunately I won't be in town Sunday.

Yours in Solidarity!

Kitkat
      You're welcome, and thanksbackatcha to all who have been pushing forward on public access to our Bay. Snaggedline alone proved that people wanted public access to Beverly-Triton Beach Park.

It's a Catch-22. People don't know a public park exists so they don't ask for access to that public park and THEN those who want the park kept closed say there's no demand for public access to that public park. A rare public day at a "closed" public park isn't widely publicized so not many people attend and THEN those who want the park kept closed say that low attendance means there's no public interest in that public park.

That's the situation right now with Mayo Beach Park. Last September 2014 the Capital covered a barely announced Public Open Day at Mayo:

http://www.capitalgazette.com/news/g...,3346810.story

it should have been hundreds of people not dozens of people.

Please ask your family, friends and neighbors to come wiggle their toes in the sand at Mayo Beach Park this Sunday.

Thanks

Lisa

Comment

ill post on my social media sites
        Zach Bennett
        Linthicum MD
        2014 Hobie Outback
        Instagram: YakinZak
        Youtube: YakinZak
        Email: Yakinzak@gmail.com

Comment

Lisa ......... You might want to post this on Tidalfish too ......... They have more members than us who will probably show up too

Comment

Thinking about bringing the whole family Sunday! Are dogs allowed?
            Ryan
            Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by Shady View Post
              Thinking about bringing the whole family Sunday! Are dogs allowed?
              Thanks to all. Shady, the neighbors walk their dogs at Mayo Beach Park all the time. I've heard Rec&Parks staff encourage the neighbors to walk their dogs in Mayo Beach Park. I do not know if the park staff will arbitrarily decide that drive-in dogs are not allowed. If you bring your dog, plan on keeping it on a leash.

Public parks should be open to the general public. The neighbors don't want Mayo Beach Park opened to the general public. Newspaper article on April Water Access Committee meeting: http://www.capitalgazette.com/news/a...,6621306.story

If you want to change this, please come out to Mayo Beach Park this Sunday and enjoy a free day at the beach. Ask your family, friends and neighbors to come along. Take pictures.

Please Email Steve Schuh exschu00@aacounty.org , our new County Executive, and Rick Anthony RPANTH49@aacounty.org , the Director of Recreation and Parks, and ask them to open this beautiful park, bought, staffed and maintained by public tax dollars, to the general public that paid for it. Tell them how you enjoy the water and why you want access. If you make it to the Mayo Beach Open Day, attach photos. Include your first and last name and your snail mail address so they know you're a real person.

Thank you,

Lisa (hopping off the soapbox)
              Last edited by Lisa; 05-16-2015, 08:58 AM.

Comment

I stopped by this afternoon just after 1pm...there were a few cars in the lot, but didn't see too many people on the beach. I did some recon on the launch situation from there. The first place you come to as you drive in to Mayo Ridge is on the left and is blocked by a chain, but you could get a kayak under it on a cart. The launch is really close to the road here. You can see the parking lot just up the road a little further
                Entrance-1.jpgEntrance-1a.jpgEntrance-1c.jpgEntrance-1d.jpg

The second spot that appeared to be a potential was just another 40 yards or so up the road, but it was also chained off and in such a way that it would be hard to get a kayak through.
                Entrance-2-Parking-Lot-to-right.jpgEntrance-2.jpg

At the main parking lot, I first thought you could just go straight to the water (to the left of the building by the port-a-potty), but that's a no go. Hard to see and appreciate how steep it is, but there is a hill as you approach the beach.
                Parking-Lot-2.jpgParking-Lot-2a.jpgParking-Lot-2b.jpg

You can go to the right of the main building and there is a nice paved path down to the beach. A little longer of a haul, but an easy launch.
                Parking-Lot_3a.jpg

Comment

[QUOTE=YakCapn;111687]I stopped by this afternoon just after 1pm... <snip>

The second spot that appeared to be a potential was just another 40 yards or so up the road, but it was also chained off and in such a way that it would be hard to get a kayak through.
                  Entrance-2-Parking-Lot-to-right.jpgEntrance-2.jpg <snip>

A belated thanks for going to Mayo Beach Park for the May Public Open Day and doing Snaggedline recon. I was with my dad and couldn't be there.

These two pics are where you launch if you pay $60 for a part year Mayo Wind Permit. $60 for one person in one car, no guests. Windsurfers mostly buy this permit. If you buy the permit you get the combination to lock on that chain and can drive onto the grass and unload your boat and gear. You have to launch, no loitering IN the park. OTOH, if you live nearby and walk in with your family and hang out, Rec & Parks doesn't utter a peep.

The June Mayo Beach Park Public Open Day is this Sunday, Fathers Day, 6/21/15, from 10 am to 6 pm. More later.

Lisa

Comment

Here's the Mayo Beach Park website:

http://www.aacounty.org/RecParks/par...each/index.cfm

Fish through there (ba-DUMP!) for info on the Mayo Wind permit.

Lisa

Comment

Working...
                    X